RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have been researching some Range Rover Supercharged models for a work friend of mine (the 2006 MY). We have been looking around on eBay to get a general idea of what's out there. It seems there is a problem of people taking HSE models and dressing them up with the easy to find Supercharged fascia components and making it look like a Supercharged model. I have stumbled onto a couple suspicious cars on eBay. They look very genuine, with minor oddities, like amber side lights. The VIN numbers always seem to come up as Range Rover HSE. My question is: is there a way to definitively tell based on the VIN number without actually inspecting the car whether or not the car is a factory Supercharged edition? Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 594wt_1165

That is the specific car. It just looks off. I contacted the guy about it and he was a real jerk to me. It has amber side lights, which is bizarre. The rear Land Rover badge is missing. The Supercharged badge is way off center, no where near where it would come from the factory. The brake's look like they have been painted. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Looks legit to me. Brembo brakes, tail pipes, black supercharged logo on steering wheel, supercharged logo on tach, engine looked right.

With that said, I would never buy a car off of ebay as I feel there is just too much risk. You are much better going to a dealer. A little more money but it could cost you way less in the long run.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
"Low level fresh water damage"... I'd stay away from that one unless you were able to thoroughly inspect every inch of it prior to bidding. Perhaps the low level water wasn't that low and caused the wood trim to splinter on that door, for all I know. :shock: Also, the misaligned Supercharged badge in the back may mean nothing, or may mean that the car was rear ended and the seller is not disclosing it. Too risky, IMHO.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Insurance companies only end up with cars that are totaled which means they cost more to fix then replace. They don't buy cars from owners with minor damage. It probably has a salvage title which means you can't sell it. Run.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If the owner replaced the interior with a new stock interior, the car was underwater. Sounds like a great deal!

·
Registered
952 Posts
You generally get what you pay for in used cars. The top tier used cars are kept by the dealers and sold off the lot. Ebay is the bottom of the rung, this one is the bottom of the bottom rung. Water damage? Unless they are giving the car to you for close to free, it's a bad deal.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
17 Posts
I'd stay away from a car with a salvage title. This car has a salvage title. Hec, i'd even stay away from a lemon buy back. It's either flood damage or a bad wreck. Seems more like flood damage. The seats are replaced with non S/C standard seats. Brake pedal is non S/C. side markers non S/C door arm rests are covered up with non factory material. The red calipers don't look like the stock Brembo calipers the S/C comes with. Other than that the engine is a S/C engine. I would definatley call any LR dealer and speak with the service department to verify the VIN that it is S/C and vehicle history. You can have any LR dealer do the inspection. These cars come with scheduled maintanence. They are most likely to br serviced at a LR dealer. Also demand a description of the damage from the seller.
Let us know what you find. Good Luck!!!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
That one's a bad idea. Stock interior (non-lux, even), high price for a salvage, and lots of cursory issues (damaged trim, plain-out wrong parts like the amber side markers and brake pedal, a few dings), and I wouldn't trust those electronics having been in "low level fresh water damage". There are lots of better ones out there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How about the fact that this car with a salvage title and those miles is worth about $20k? People are leaving the most obvious point out here. There will be no warranty through any dealer and no one will finance it for you as well.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts
No Ebay is not the bottom of the barrel. A lot dealers use it for publicity to sell their cars. I have bought 5 cars off ebay including my Rover all from Dealers though. Never had a single problem with the cars and they were and continue to be fantastic. I make sure though they are in mint condition otherwise I don't bother. Good place to get deals you just have to know what to look for and make sure it has the factory warranty left in case their are problems needing to be fixed. Just make sure if they highlight any flaws it pass it by.

It is a supercharged model, but would definitely PASS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts