RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been given a small generator from someone who didn't want it any more as they upgraded to a larger one.

It's powered by an old Wisconsin Robin engine, model W1-145. I've tried searching all over the net for info on this engine with not much success. I want to carry out a basic service of this machine as it has been sitting unused for around 3 years. I've cleaned and re-oiled the air filter as per the instructions printed on the air filter housing, replaced a perished fuel hose from the fuel tank, renewed the spark plug and just generally given the whole thing a good clean.

I have run it up a few times now for around 5 minutes and it works fine. To complete things I really want to do an oil change, however, I am unsure of what grade oil to use. From the few things I've managed to gather on the net it's better to use semi-synthetic in these older engines. I was initially thinking of something along the lines of 10w/40 but that was before I looked around on the net. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for any help

-Will :)

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
THe generators we use around here for power outages all call for 30w. Ours are powered by basic lawnmower engines.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Like Carl, I'd suggest 30w - you can usually get it from lawn mower shops as it's common in lawn mower engines.

Re searching, I Googled "Wisconsin Robin W1-145" and got a plethora of links including workshop manuals, e.g., http://www.jackssmallengines.com/pdf_do ... V_185V.pdf

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys, got the 30w this afternoon and did an oil change this evening - the old oil hadn't been changed for a loooong time by the looks of things, all thick black and sludgy. Got the new stuff in and it's running perfectly, had it running some 1000w site lights this evening for around 30 mins and it didn't miss a beat so im pretty happy for something that was free!

As regards to the link, sorry, I should have been a bit clearer, I searched, found lot's of stuff on the engine EXCEPT for what grade oil to use in it!

Anyway, all sorted now, thanks for the help :)

-Will :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
For future reference if you need it - A good source of 30w oil is anywhere that does stuff for aircooled VWs as this is their staple diet. Although a regular topic of debate on the forums is whether it is best to stay true to the 30w or change to a more modern multigrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts