RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
About to start ordering parts for my V8 rebuild, but wondering about the core plug at the rear of the camshaft. Does this also serve as the rear thrust bearing for the camshaft end float, or should there be some kind of bearing in there ?

All the parts books I have looked at only show a 46mm core plug in there.

Also how far into the block should the core plug be fitted ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
as far as I can remember there is a thrust plate at front of block behind timing wheel (sprocket in the us), the rear is only an access plug when replacing cam bearings.
as far as fitting your machinist should have a tool with a shoulder similar to a bearing race installer, which is the actual measurement of how deep to install block freeze plugs.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
As far as I'm aware, that is just a core plug, put a little thread lock round the core plugs, use a socket if you don't have bearing tools, knock them in till there about 1/8 inch in, look at existing, that will give you the depth pretty much, just make sure they go in square.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks. Just tried old camshaft, plus sprocket & thrust plate, and figured it out. Definitely need new cam & thrust plate though !!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Just a hint, the endfloat of the camshaft is determined by the combo thrustplate/timingsprocket. Best buy both original LR to stay within endfloat limits.
Aftermarket sprockets may differ in thickness of boss on the thrustplate side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts