Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4L NA
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GEMS Fuel Pump Seal and line retainer seal Installation Questions

The previous owner of my Callaway was a horrible mechanic. He had just replaced the fuel pump (just the pump in the original STC4545 housing) and since I got it from him it had leak down issues on pressure. Eventually no pressure at all. Turns out he used a not so tight cable tie on the pump output submersible hose. It eventually dislodged from the pump, so I had a whirring pump with no pressure. I used a PEX crimp on the pump out and that part of the process worked out great as a semi-end result.

The screw down lid was not even tight. When I put the pump back in, I slipped the seal onto the pump and then put the pump in. I could not get the fuel pump to compress enough to even get the rings started. So, I looked at the seals and saw how they would interlock if I put the replaceable seal on the fuel tank seal in a way where the 45 degree flaps would mate, before sliding the pump in. The pump went in with a little persuasion and a few taps with the screwdriver at the right angle tightened the retaining ring. I only went about 10 degrees past hand tight probably.
Q1) Was this correct, or was the new seal supposed to go on top of the tank seal instead of interlocking?

Second, my fuel pump lines had the push to release retainers. They were a rusted mess, but I could not find any like them in the states. Our stores just sell Ford style plastic push retainers. Not the correct size. Is the an O ring in them that needs to be replaced? Does it go on the pump males and then into the retainer clips? Can you replace those, or do you have to get new lines? I read all other threads I could think of search terms for and I will probably have to come up with a new connection scheme, but was hoping that my lines could be saved...
Q2) Are the 2 piece retainers available (in UK or states, or anywhere?)
Q3) Are there O-rings in the retainers that need to be replaced?

I have replaced all O-rings on all fuel pump lines (aside from the pump union lines themselves, but still have leakdown.

Any wisdom out there to share would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
54 Posts
Re: GEMS Fuel Pump Seal and line retainer seal Installation Questions

Been there, done that. Rovers North is your friend....and they are in stock.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4L NA
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: GEMS Fuel Pump Seal and line retainer seal Installation Questions

Have smell of gas and evap going on, so I was supposed to put the fuel seal over the tank seal and somehow exert enough force to get the locking ring to engage correct?

Anyone know what the part # is from Rovers North that will hold my fuel line to fuel pump? Rovers North does not clearly mark for P38. I looked but did not call.

Bump... Any more wisdom out there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.