RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I bought a used ECM with Tornado Chips in it. I wanted to know how to manage the swap from the security link point of view 8-|=

Cheers

Flo

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Not a problem,just fit the new ECU,then set up Testbook.Go into GEMS,then sub systems tests - do the security relearn so it will start,then go back in and do an adaptive reset so the ECU can learn the engines characteristics.Thats it,and you can refit the old unit at any time as it will already recognise the square wave security code from the BECM - and be familiar with the engine.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allyv8 said:
Not a problem,just fit the new ECU,then set up Testbook.Go into GEMS,then sub systems tests - do the security relearn so it will start,then go back in and do an adaptive reset so the ECU can learn the engines characteristics.Thats it,and you can refit the old unit at any time as it will already recognise the square wave security code from the BECM - and be familiar with the engine.
Many thanks for the tip. I'll try it ASAP.
Prior to that, i went through the ECM Swap Procedure from the GEMS Menu. It saved 1st ECM datas, then asked me to fit the 2nd. Wrote some datas successfully then tried to start on ECM2 and it didn't work.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
There really is no need to go through the ecu replacement proceedure as Testbook would have you do - its too long winded.
Several years ago a well known and respected LPG installer and I had problems with unstable idling on Gems cars with a particular LPG system.(Cant even remember what make it was.)The thinking at the time was that the Gems ecu was ageing and was unable to trim the mixtures quickly enough when coming down to idle.So the stepper jacked right open,then shut right down and got in a right pickle.At the time I was happily swopping Gems ecu's around all over the place so the method I described was well tested !
Sorry to dribble on....

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried the Security Relearn today, then reset of adaptive values. Everything is fine but I can't make it work.
Engine starts but stalls.
I really don't know what to do :roll:
Should i swap the chips from ECM2 to ECM1?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i did the chips swap today.
Started it on petrol, same thing : it starts then cut. For the 1st time, i decided to help it a little to rev and it did it.
Switched to LPG and tested it, the thing goes beyond 6000 RPM 8) and seems to run as the advertisement. In fact the gain of power is negligeable but power delivery is very progressive. I like that.

Switched back to petrol and it runs like a pig.

I resetted the adaptive values and the faults, then try again. Still runs like a pig on petrol. I know that it has to learn after the reset but it seems that there's a problem like to much fuel or something.

The **** thing cutted in the middle of the road in a low RPM area and no way to start it again.

Let it cool one hour, came back with a booster and it started at the 2nd attempt.

For the test, i pluged the 2nd ECM fitted with OEM chips from ECM1 and it didn't work. So i assume that the ECM2 is fried or something.

I testbooked it and i have a fault registered that is about the security link. Something like the security link procedure during driving cycle couldn't be achieved.

I'll try to do the security relearn with the testbook.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts