RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much as the title has it, I have a GEMS 4.0 engine and I've bypassed the heater until I can find a suitable ridiculously long screwdriver to do the O-rings. Now the temperature gauge is always below the half-way mark, except on sustained motorway driving. Before I bypassed the heater it sat steadily in the middle, absolutely bang on. Now it seems to wander up and down quite a lot but never above half.

There's a dribble of water coming out of the top pipe into the header tank that increases to a decent scoosh when I rev the engine (gently, because I'm supersitious about leaning over an engine and revving it especially when the top end is tappy...) so think it's bled okay.

Is this fluctuating reading anything to worry about, or should I just be happy it's below half?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

I have a Gems 4.0 as well and I have the heater bypassed for years. The temperature indicator shows 12 o'clock position on my car under normal situations.

If you have the older GEMS with the sensor that has earth through the engine block, The temperature can give wrong reading because of bad earth.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh aye? Assuming I've already got the centre console apart, how do I proceed?

·
Registered
686 Posts
seems my initial response was 'sent' before I had opportunity to correct it..... I can't help with the reason behind fluctuating temps gauge - I was responding with details of how Screwfix sell the screwdrivers you need in a 4 piece kit & that if the machine screw is truly stuck as mine was then they also sell HSS quick change drills and a quick change adapter/extension (as do B&Q their sister company) & that I reckon I can now change O rings in under an hour and will put off replacing the matrix with an 'Audi' type due to the additional stripdown and need to create pipework to fit -- agree the better engineering route... Oh and once I'd drilled out the screw I [needed to] buy the metal clamp - less than a fiver from LR

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and over about a 180-mile drive it sat bang on the middle, except for a long downhill section at 60mph (the bit just south of Perth, down to the Findo Gask junction, for those who know the A90) where the temperature dropped to about a quarter or just below.

Ghod I need a working heater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts