RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
I have discovered tht my p38 gems transfer box is filled with gearoil as the diffs.should i replace it to atf like it should be?there is a whine coming from transfer box is it coz of gearoil is present?or is it masking a stronger whine tht could arrise if i put atf?please advise.thank you

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
It's hard to say, how long have you owned the RR? has it always whined, or is it a new noise?

The previous owner either put it in to stop noises, in that case going back to ATF won't help, you're due for a rebuild.

Or, the PO put it in out of ignorance and laziness (too lazy to look at the requirements), in that case it could be the oil makin the noise and switching back will likely help, unless the gear oil has done damage from being too thick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shupack said:
It's hard to say, how long have you owned the RR? has it always whined, or is it a new noise?

The previous owner either put it in to stop noises, in that case going back to ATF won't help, you're due for a rebuild.

Or, the PO put it in out of ignorance and laziness (too lazy to look at the requirements), in that case it could be the oil makin the noise and switching back will likely help, unless the gear oil has done damage from being too thick.
Cheers mate.since i got it 3 months ago it was present.it is heard on speeds of 70 kms,it varies with accelerating then at 75 it is gone.i thought it was the diff,i have replaced the black oil in the diffs,not grey and no metals on the plugs.i have replaced a faulty front wheel bearing and checked them all.that leaves the transfer.i believe it was put by ignorance thinking it is like the classic with diff locks.the mechanic assured me tht it is ok to keep it but i still have my doubts.when low range is selected i can hear a buzz while driving not a whine.sounds like zzzzzz.should i put atf and c wht happens?.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shupack said:
I would, drive gently to see use a HIGH quality ATF and change it after 1k or so.
Please excuse my persistance shupack,wht do u mean by drive it gently?i will replace the oil anyway.i will use prestoil atf made in usa.wht abt the zzzz i hear in low range is it normal?it is heard when u drive near a wall in quiet enviroment.i have noticed also tht when the oil gets hot the whine is gone,so i think tht oil is getting thiner thus i believe puting atf will solve it.fingers crossed.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is the noise specifically coming from the transfer case? Mine makes all sorts of ZZZZZ noises lol, sometimes I swear its humming a tune. Gear oil isn't going to kill the transfer box. There are several members running it in theirs and haven't had any issues. I recently came across several owners who's 95 models specify gear oil instead of ATF in their owners manuals. The service manual suggests ATF, so thats what I put in it. Transfer boxes are pretty simple devices, as long as the gear oil lubricates and cools things, all should be well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts