RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
4.4 V8 2003, ZF 5HP24 gearbox.
Despite Landrover and BMW talking about lifetime filling etc, the manufacturer ZF recommends a change of gearbox oil at intervals of 80 - 100 thousand kilometers.

At the Service Centre of ZF they change the oil, the filter, replace all balls and some spings, gasktest and all the tiny stuff inside the hydraulic block.
The block is removed for inspection.

Quite astounding service.

regards
TrueS2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wish we had ZF service centers on this side of the pond. This sounds like great service at any price.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,311 Posts
.....Or do-it-yourself…..it’s easy :) . Just the cost of the fluid, filter & two gaskets.

The only tool you need is a T27 Torx key.

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
The most fundamental reason for opening up the Valve block is to simply clear out all of the ATF sludge that can and does build up in the passageways and valves. This will make shifts more accurate and possibly increase the life span of the existing clutches. Aditionally, the new seals will make sure that you are not leaking any internal pressure.

If I was just doing a simple filter and fluid change, I would not expand that job to include dropping the valve assembly. There are way too many things that can go wrong. It is a fairly complex job that the majority of people probably would mess up. All the little springs, ball checks, and valves. Too many things to get wrong on my garage work table. If there is nothing wrong wit hthe valve assembly, then I probably would not open it up.

Although, if I remember, ZF does quite a bit more than just cleaning and reassembly. ZF repalces the ball check valves with a different upgraded diameter and different material. The primary valves are also repalced with a newer upgraded version. Overall, the ZF people aply all of the upgraded design components that were developed since the original manufacturing design. If I had a ZF factory tech, I would definately get the upgraded parts.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,311 Posts
We need to remember that the 5HP24 was launched back in 1996 so, by the time L322 went into production, ZF had had many years of development on the transmission.

So take, for example, the 6mm reverse gear ball check valve (there’s only one ball valve in the 5HP24 valve block), yes this had been problematic in the early Jags & BMWs where it would wear & push its way through the restrictor plate but this was sorted by the time our Range Rover’s were built. Similarly with the main pressure regulator valve spool, all our Range Rovers got the later 10mm land-width (1058 327 030) version and not the early 9mm one.

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,311 Posts
Hmmm, doesn’t look like we’re going to get a response on the cost from the OP. I know that ZF have customer service centres in Germany, Switzerland & Austria. The post below (from a BMW forum) is from a guy who had his valve block ‘serviced’ at the ZF Centre in Dortmund, Germany :

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/527361

Phil

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This link (to authorised service centres) may be useful as ZF will not carry out service at its locations in the UK - only replacement Geabox's and New Parts etc:

Remanufactured automatic transmissions
Genuine ZF parts
Power steering racks (either new or remanufactured)
Steering boxes
Steering pumps

http://www.zf-group.co.uk/car_service.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts