RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TD6 with 124000 on the clock and recently had the gear box start to feel like it was starting to slip.I went to a local garage who tried to help by changing the Gear oil which helped for a short period.Eventually the inevitable happened but occurred a bit more abruptly than I expected and I was recovered home. I a got quote from a couple of local 4x4 places that seemed high then I saw an advert on the internet from a Company called Gearbox Express LTD in London. I made an internet enquiry and the next day was called by the guy who runs it giving me the low down on what happens etc. I checked them as much I could on the net and spoke to my wife and we decided the 2 year Guarantee was worth the distance.
They sent a guy with a transporter and the car was duly done within a couple of days.My wife gave me a lift down and we picked up the car and paid the bill in cash.The first shock was in the paperwork the two year guarantee conditions of a 500 mile check, 6000 mile check £60 diagnostic £60 labour and oil change approx.£ 110 variable.This check and cost at 6000,12000,18000 24000. This proved a bit of a shock and not what I was expecting.
The car was taken home London to Worcestershire driven to the bottom of a field in low range,then driven to pick up my son from school approx. 3 miles half way I had no drive and pulled in. I called gearbox express he said you in the AA get them to bring it back to London ,so the next day they did.
My wife went to pick up the car a few days later on the train,after she left a message was left at the house that it wouldn't be ready too late.She ended up having to stay overnight in London next day they said it needed a new torque convertor which shocked us as we presumed it had already been fitted as all other quotes had included it (don't really know what it does).That cost her another £500 then on picking up the car to come home was told that while they were testing it the Low Range light had come on and was difficult to select.My wife said she wanted to go home so they put on her invoice (customer advised New Transfer box required ASAP).
She came home and told me what had happened so I looked on this site and found the manual Transfer box reset,as given by RRPhil who really does seem to know what he is doing.I did the reset and the Transfer box neutral message disappeared and everything worked and everything was selectable.
The car was not driven for a couple of days until I took it for an MOT,where they had to almost push it onto the ramp at the end.They checked the gearbox oil and did a Fault check where they got 85 in grey colour background (historical code?) 35 Gear Monitor 3 Fault 36 Gear Monitor 4 Fault .
The vehicle was at the MOT garage as it now showed Trans Failsafe message and barley moved. We rang the Gearbox Express and he said it was because the Transfer box chain was slack and it was making the Gearbox do all the work? He said he would take out the gearbox and check it but we know he will insist that the transfer box is changed ,he has quoted £1200. My wife rang another Gear box Company recommended by the garage and told them the story,they said the box was Gearbox was Faulty and the the guy was talking Bollox about the transfer box,probably just trying for more money.
So we are now at the point of what to do take it all the way back to London for the 3rd time for a new transfer box which to be frank we can ill afford .Or stuff the so called guarantee take it somewhere else and get the box serviced properly and cut our loses .Sorry for this Drawn out message but we really don't know what to do and would welcome any informed opinions thanks.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Your dilemma is everyones worst nightmare. It always seems that when you really do not want to deal with something and you give it to someone to take care of this is the result. It is a pity that no one advised you of the terms. In my reno work I always try to lay out the options so the customer is informed and does not feel like I have bamboozled them. When I have left a task for someone else to do I am often very unlucky. I wonder what else will void the warranty that you are not yet made aware of. That place sounds like some of our nationwide trans repair shops and they make you so sick you just want to run away. I think you should ask until you find someone local who is truly capable of advising you well. You have admitted in not knowing that the TC would not be changed by this outfit when the others said they would-an unfortunate oversight-so no more. If it will not run under its own power then you will have to pick your garage unless you have the free flatbedding. I am heading in the direction of tranny work so also have some unsettling decisions to make as well as learn more about these finicky beasts. Keep us posted

1 - 2 of 2 Posts