RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any experience with the "gearbox overheat" message?
All fluids have been topped up but the message reappears after about40 miles back on the road.
This is also preceded by three beeps.
Any advise is most appreciated.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

It is not common to get a real overheating situation of the gearbox, but the message is sometimes triggered if the voltage of the cars electric system is low. The temperature sensor is also in some occasions the culprit.

To start check the obvious:
How is the condition of your gearbox oil cooler and botom of the gearbox. If caked in mud it could be a real overheat problem.
Are you driving with heavy trailer uphill, or let the gearbox work hard without moving the vehicle much?

In case you drive normal fill out the electric sticky to determine if the fault is related to low voltage. If you have an infra red temperature reader read the temperatures on the supply and return line to the gearbox oil cooler.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jos.
Haven't been towing lately, so I'll check out all the other options.
Appreciate your wisdom.
Cheers,
Dawn

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Jos is right, the "gearbox fault" message is often a red-herring that actually indicates electrical issues.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
As you arte towing then there are a few things you will need to check and confirm.
I get many a early P38 in thats giving loose of power problems amongst other problems...

Removing and cleaning the radiator most of the times is not enough and further stripping and checking the trans cooler reveals interesting situations

You can check out my blog as there are some good pictures there regarding cooling issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts