RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I have a 2002 4.4 L322 with 181k miles. I've owned it for 13k of those miles. It runs LPG. I don't know if it's original box. I've had the trans fluid and filter done 5k miles ago. It has a torque converter issue that makes the rumbling sound and 200rpm fluctuations on constant throttle until reaching 60mph when it locks fine. It's been like that since 13k miles ago.
This week on slowing to a roundabout and not coming to full stop, on accelerating the gears went into neutral revved and then slam into 2nd.
The car doesn't like shifting down. Coming to full stop it does select 1st. Upshifts are no issue if allowing it a bit of time. No transmission failsafe yet.
I have a bmw545 as well at 167k miles and whilst I know it's 6hp gearbox it did have upshift slam and changing solenoids fixed it.
Should I consider a new valve body with new solenoids for my L322 ?
Is it worthwhile changing the torque converter as it slips all gears unless going up a steep hill with light throttle when it will lock and hold about 1400rpm in maybe4th gear until road levels out then the TC disengages and revs pop up to about 2300 whilst still in same gear.
Appreciate input from anyone as I've been given an initial worst case full gearbox rebuild but thinking perhaps valve body and solenoids as step 1 might be worthwhile.
Mike

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Unlike with the 6HP26, the solenoids on the 5HP24 rarely give any problems. They’re a different design.

It might be worth checking that your upper valve block doesn’t have the common crack across the SV-1 to KV-F circuit, allowing leakage of A-clutch pressure in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear

A properly remanufactured torque converter costs around £250 and any competent mechanic can fit it. They don’t need to have any expertise with automatic transmissions.

You don’t mention where in the world you are but, if you’re in the UK, I can supply fully rebuilt and Hydra-tested valve block assemblies on a “if it doesn’t fix the problem, just return it for a full refund” basis for £300+VAT.

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil - how do I contact you to obtain one of your valve bodies as per your reply? Does fully rebuilt include new solenoids and other bits on the valve body like the pressure regulator valve? I am on the south coast in the UK.
Mike

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Hi Mike,

No, I don’t replace the solenoids as they’re very durable and generally problem-free. Obviously, each solenoid is thoroughly tested (pressure vs. current) during the Hydra-Test. I strip, clean and vacuum test the valve blocks to check for worn bores

and I replace the main pressure valve with the over-sized Sonnax valve if necessary (I’m personally not a fan of the TransGo replacement valve).

Each of the 28 valve springs are inspected for free length. Finally, the complete valve body assembly is passed-off on a Hydra-Test machine to ensure that it’s 100% hydraulically and electrically within specification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3KvO8zKlc

I’ll try to send you a PM, although I’m not sure what the rules are regarding new forum members.

Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts