RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their gearbox oil by what I would know as the “Gibbons Method”.

Method involves removing the pipes from the cooler, return goes into a tub of fresh gearbo oil and return into empty tub (pipes will need temporary extensions). Start up the car and watch the fresh fluid flush through until it runs clean. Reconnect and check level by normal methods. Adjust as necessary.

Any thoughts?

Rob.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
It's the only method I have used on every tranny service I do in the shop for well over 30 years. However you are missing the most important step. Once you have clear/clean fluid at your bucket you MUST drop the pan and change the filter. Rather useless to flush fluid and run it through a filthy filter and dirty pan.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great write up, thank you. Have you ever done it by putting the feed into an empty bottle and the return into a full bottle of fresh oil so it draws oil in as it runs? That prevents having to keep stopping and starting and should keep the level near enough right?

And yes I agree, filter change is vital. On the ZF6, is it felt that the Ebay metal sump and separate filter is a good buy, or go with an OE combined plastic sump and filter (which I believe needs exhaust off and engine/box lifting to refit)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts