RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

Something’s very odd with my gearbox. It works fine in high range but the other day I selected low to make sure everything still works and the shifting was painfully harsh (I thought I was rear ended the first time it shifted from 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) I tried it in manual mode but it made no difference. Gearbox oil seems fine and it shifts perfectly in high. I have a prins lpg kit fitted but makes no difference selecting different fuels.

I’ve got a gearbox filter replacement kit so ill try that at the weekend and change fluid but wondered if anyone has any ideas?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

As the ratio in low gear is different from the high gear the effect of engine breaking and pulling is also much more noticeable in the low gears. Your torque converter should make the gear changes as smooth as possible but if you floor the accelerator in low gear the car takes off as a rocket and gear changes are just harsh. These cars are designed for off road use and for that you have to dose the amount of power you want carefully.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the good advice, however this is a lot worse than the normal low range shifting and seems to occur at any rpm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you say it is a lot worse than normal are you making a comparison between your RR now and before or between your RR and another truck. The low range shifting can be very harsh as I have been going down a steep grade in the mountains and shifted from 2nd to first and if I had not been wearing a seatbelt I would have hit my head on the windshield. Are you hearing any grinding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in comparison to when i first got the car last year and used the low quite a bit for descending. It was loaded to the roof quite often then so maybe the extra weight sofened the shifting somehow. :think:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts