RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 4.6 on top of everything else, now has a gearbox fault message and it't defaulted to third gear. No sweat nurse it home and have a look, unfortunately stopped off at the garden centre and it's still there as it doesn't recognise that it is in park so won't let me start it. Can I use my RSW software to clear the fault long enough to get it home? I've looked before and haven't seen a section for the gearbox ECU. Is there another way to get it going?

·
Registered
874 Posts
If the car is in an ECU induced limp home mode which puts the gear in 3rd gear, you should still be able to start and stop the engine without issue. Make sure that the gear selector is in the P position. Just to be sure, move around the gear and put it in P.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
758 Posts
I’m not sure if the rsw software is what you need, maybe there’s someone near you with a nano or lynx, more chance then ,,
you can always jump the starter to see if it will start, only a length of wire.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
It recognises what gear it is in from the signal from the XYZ switch on the side of the gearbox. This sends outputs to the gearbox ECU, the BeCM and the lights next to the gear shift. If the signal from the XYZ switch doesn't match with the position of the physical cable it goes into limp home, if the BeCM doesn't see the correct signal, it won't let you start it in gear and the lights next to the lever are your indication. What lights are showing as that will confirm what the problem is? When one of the switches fails you will find that the lights and lever don't coincide but it will show P or N with the lever in one position. As long as it is showing P or N, you will be able to start the car even if the lever is in a different gear, just start it with your foot on the brake.

Don't think any diagnostic will allow you to reset it as it isn't an ECU problem, the ECU is just doing what it should using the signal it is getting from the XYZ switch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, car recovered using thick piece of wire to starter motor. On the way back car behaved and now not showing fault!!!
Will fit a new XYZ switch, will I have to calibrate it though???
Could fit the one of the spare car but I doubt it's much better!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next day fault returned so fitted the XYZ switch off my donor car and so far all is well. may do a report on how it went as it's a fiddly but not too bad job.
Can't find anyone who refurbs the switch ( there is for disco 2's) and new ones are pricey.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I've refurbed a couple. There should be a breather pipe on them but that often falls off leaving an open hole directly below the air con drain. So the switch fills up with water which causes some links from the socket to the switch to rot through. I soldered jumper wires across the rotted bits after carving some of the plastic away. They are riveted together so the rivets have to be drilled out and the switch can be put back together with screws and nuts. If you decide to give it a go, be very careful when you take it apart as there are some tiny plastic shuttles that operate the switches which can fall out. Lose one of those and the whole switch is scrap. When you refit it, put a loop of washer hose on the breather hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts