RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some of the other posts related to various faults including the gearbox fault and I'm not fully certain that it has anything to do with the battery since the battery is brand new. The situation is this...

The truck is a 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.6 with about 120K miles. The truck starts fine. When I switch to Drive and hit the accelerator, the engine revs (to about 2000 rpm) for about a half second before moving, then slowly starts moving. I don't feel any jerking and there don't appear to be any knocking or grinding. When I shut off the engine, I get the gearbox fault. I do only work about 7 miles from home, so I suppose the battery may not be charging.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Do the electrical sticky above and report back. With limited mileage you may be dead on that you simply are not allowing enough time to charge. Secondly it also sounds like a tranny service is in order. At a minimum you should have the error codes read from your tranny. Have you checked your tranny fluid yet?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
When the gearbox fault appears due to an electrical problem, it's typically while the engine is running. With you having an OBVIOUS tranny issue, and the fault message coming on at shut down, it's pretty safe to assume you have an OBVIOUS tranny issue.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
2002 thats the one without dipstick, horrid things.... When was gearbox oil level last checked

T check, start, go through gears, back into park. leave engine running
Raise vehicle via eas and support, leave tail gate open <----not official (DIY)

Remove gearbox sump filler plug, top up with ATF DIII

If engine starts quick and easy then I doubt there is a power issue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts