RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove by a buddy’s house as he was trying to pull out a stubborn shrub with his brand new Chevy Silverado with no luck. I told him the Rover could do it in under 10 seconds. I am happy to report that I was right. But as I was doing it I got a gearbox fault and now after startup first gear won’t engage. When I shift to drive, the car will rev to about 3000 rpm and then shift into gear (which I am assuming is second gear).

Not sure if this is related but fuse 7 in the engine compartment was blown. I replaced it with no change to the fault (although the fuse I replaced it with was a questionable fuse).

Just want to see if there is something I should be looking at or if this is looking like a bigger issue, cause it definelty feels like it.

This is what I get for helping a neighbor...

1999 4.6 HSE

·
Registered
948 Posts
First thing is to pull the codes to see what you have registered on the OBD. You should do that then post your findings.

The symptom you're describing may be a limp home mode, where the gear stays in 3rd no matter what. It would go back to normal once faults are cleared.

I would not drive the car until you pull the codes and see why your Rover is unhappy.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
What you're describing sounds like a failed sprag clutch, symptoms of which are (courtesy of Ashcroft Transmissions):

A common problem with all ZF 4HP22/24 boxes is the failure of the oneway 'sprag' clutch. Once the cams in this one way sprag clutch 'flip' the unit will slip both ways resulting in the vehicle only pulling off with the shifter in position '1' not 'D' and driving OK when shifted up to position 2,3 and D until you stop then you need to pull it back to '1' to start off again.

Box rebuild required if it is.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Code pulled is P0772 -output shaft speed sensor circuit no signal... thoughts?
it thinks the trans is slipping, check your electrical connectors, clear you codes, reset adaptations. if this does not return to normal, the you may need to remove the oil pan and inspect the connectors and harness inside the trans. valve body may need to come down if it is deemed the trans output sensor has failed. I have seen this failure twice before, years apart.

if you did not overheat the trans while pulling the stump and the clutches have not physically failed, you should be ok. if the clutches or other internals have failed, you will see other codes related to input and output shaft speed difference.
further in depth diagnosis may be needed if above suggestion does not return positive outcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleared the codes but still no change. I can shift into 1,2 & 3 just fine and feels like the tran is ok. Only when I put it in D is when the symptoms occur.

What electrical connectors should I be checking??

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you can start from 1,2, and 3 just fine but not from D, then it is indeed a typical symptom of a sprag clutch issue.

It would be a transmission out repair, unfortunately, if it is indeed a sprag clutch issue.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Please tell us you did not go pulling out a shrub in high range or with not partially digging the shrub out. Anything that involves heavy pulling of stationary items needs to be done in low range and manually locked in second or first gear. likewise it is not to be done like a snatch recovery. Low and slow with steady tension will remove shrubs, stumps and full trees with very little stress on the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
2,194 Posts
How did you pull it? Low ratio, first gear and a steady pull or high range, drive and a snatch? If the latter, you've broken the gearbox.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Im afraid you have flipped your sprag gear, trans overhaul or replacement may be your only choices.
read what ashcroft transmissions has to say about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts