RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 range rover hse 4.6 <140k mi. starts in first, hard shift to, i guess 3rd or limp-home stays in limp-home until next start. pulled codes, 0500 and 0722. snapshot of 0500 shows vehicle speed at 1400 rpm is 156 mph. i measured 304 ohms for ouput speed sensor at tcm.
anybody have any ideas that would help my car shift normally?
thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
I;ve had a speed output sensor twice on my rig with similar readings. Clearing it has "solved" the problem both times. WIth rigs here in the shop I have only had to actually replace the output sensor once. The other 4 or 5 times clearing the code has taken care of the situation as it has not come back. Have you cleared the codes with proper diagnostics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
You'll have to enlighten me about 'proper diagnostics'.
I have an Innova 3130 scan tool and have cleared the codes a couple of times with that.
When i first got the car there was also an 0705 in addition to the other 2, that has not returned.
There was also an ABS light that i believe has been resolved with a different set of tires. (originally set was 4 different brands).
The car has also had a spring conversion and has always shown an EAS fault/ slow <35 mph in the display.
Shift lever is stiff, but xyz appears recent and alignment is correct.
Does any of that help with a diagnosis?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing..While I'm sure it's possible, I have not been anywhere near 156 mph in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update.. "gearbox fault" remains, "EAS fault- slow"..remains, symptoms remain. Cleared codes, drove, CEL returns. HOWEVER..only P0500, vehicle speed sensor A (speed according to scan tool freeze frame is again 156 mph). The 0722 code has not returned.
Latest issue is that i cannot clear this code with my innova scan tool.
are there any affordable scanners that read engine, ABS and transmission?
anyone know what/ where speed sensor A is?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts