RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 l/r td6 and recently a message kept coming up on the dash(Transmission Fail Safe Prog) and then go into get me home mode, it stopped coming on but 2 days ago it tottaly gave up on me no forward or reverse drive! i have been told by a few mechanics that it could be "low on fluid"? "gearbox ecu"? "torque convertor"? etc etc. anybody have any ideas what it could be? cheers[/b][/b][/color]

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
Get the codes, do a search on here and see if it gives you any ideas. If your'e lucky RRPhil would see your post and educate you about your transmission. I dealt with the trans failsafe for a month. If I could go back I'd take it to a dealer to get it checked out and then take it to a indy shop that is comfortable with the 03+ RR and let them do the work for half the price. Good luck.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Certainly worth getting the P-codes read if you can get it to a dealer. The GM 5L40-E transmission fitted in your Range Rover has something of a reputation for torque converter lock-up clutch failures at higher mileages. The clutch lining breaks up and contaminates the transmission fluid which then clogs up the spools in the valve block preventing the clutches from engaging properly. The ECU detects the fault from the speed sensors and (at best) drops you into limp-home mode. It might then clear itself for a while to return again later.

I suggest you drain the fluid and examine it for contamination. A fluid & filter change might buy you a little more time but, if it is the torque converter at fault, it will have to be replaced/remanufactured.

What mileage has your Range Rover racked up? The consensus on here seems to be that you can expect this type of failure to crop up at around 80,000-100,000 miles.

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies,

the car has only done 40k

i managed to get the car home but it realy struggled, it was like clutch slip(loads of revs and no go) i left the car for about an hour then started it, it would not move in forward or reverse. just reving as if in neutral.

i am hoping to take it by trailer to the local independent land rover dealer in the next few days to get it on the machine and check the codes but i'm dreding the worse!

cheers phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts