RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start out in the morning my 90RRC has a problem shifting out of first gear. I have taken it up to 4k rpm's and it does nothing. It does this whether I have let the motor warm up or get going with the engine cold. It seems as though I have to stop abruptly several times and it will function normally. It will do this again when it has been sitting for a few hours. For example, when I get to work at 10 am and I leave at 3pm it will have a shifting issue. Sometimes if it sits for an hour or two there is no problems. It doesn't make any odd noise when I move the shifting lever from any position to another. The tranny is smooth at highway speeds as well. Can someone give me some insight as to what this could be or where to look for some clues. Has anyone had this issue with their RRC before.
Thank You
Shaun

·
Registered
794 Posts
Maybe some kind of sticky valve and flush and filter could help? Just a guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi there ive got a 90 vogue and have had the same problem, ive just repaired mine and this is what i found,remove transfer case and housing for govenor.on the side of the housing theres a slide valve with a spring loaded valve inside i stripped it down and found the first valve was sticking in side the housing after some wet and drying to valve and housing,re-assembles and shook housing with valve rattling free inside housing i refitted govenor and housing refitted transfercase topped up trans road test and its sweeeeeeet now im so happy no more thrashing in the morning to get out of first gear :thumb: :D

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
29 Posts
I had the same problem with my 94 LWB. It would almost throw my head against the head rest when it shifted out of 1st and 2nd gear. I thought the problem was my governor as described above but it ended up being my throttle linkage cable. After a replacement and a transmission fluid and filter change.... the rover is running smooth in all gears (D,3,2,and 1)!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a problem with mine not wanting to shift into first gear from a stand still. The engine would rev but the truck would barely move, and then it would kick in. It's hard to put into words but it just didn't feel like the clutches slipping and I figured it to be sticky valve. I sucked out a quart of ATF and replaced it with a quart of Lucas Transmission additive. The problem was gone after about 300 miles. Maybe give it a try.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a problem with mine not wanting to shift into first gear from a stand still. The engine would rev but the truck would barely move, and then it would kick in. It's hard to put into words but it just didn't feel like the clutches slipping and I figured it to be sticky valve. I sucked out a quart of ATF and replaced it with a quart of Lucas Transmission additive. The problem was gone after about 300 miles. Maybe give it a try.

Dave
My l322 4.4 v8 2003 dnt shift into D in the morning when sitting whole night.. the engine would rev up but no shifting.. after 10 minutes at idle it shifts with a thud.. shifts fine whole day.. Reverse R engages normally even when cold..
Any suggestions pl.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It sounds like your valve body needs rebuilt...
But if you post in the l322
Section I’m sure you will get better responce
Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts