RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Range Rover HSE

Shift lever easily comes out of "D" position to neutral taking the car out of gear. If you wiggle it back and forth it will go back into gear. Got a Transmission Fault code on the screen when it goes into neutral when hitting brakes and slowing down. If we pull the handle back rearward, it goes away.

So I am assuming that this issue is simply that there is no longer anything holding it into the D position. There is no distinct notch or clunk at the shift lever as it is in R or N. It is like the notch for D has worn out.

Please help if you have any information. What is the mechanism that holds the shift lever in position?

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
rmudryk said:
2006 Range Rover HSE

Shift lever easily comes out of "D" position to neutral taking the car out of gear. If you wiggle it back and forth it will go back into gear. Got a Transmission Fault code on the screen when it goes into neutral when hitting brakes and slowing down. If we pull the handle back rearward, it goes away.

So I am assuming that this issue is simply that there is no longer anything holding it into the D position. There is no distinct notch or clunk at the shift lever as it is in R or N. It is like the notch for D has worn out.

Please help if you have any information. What is the mechanism that holds the shift lever in position?

Thanks !

Pull the shift knob off and make sure the linkage isn't broken... To remove the knob put the car in drive "engine off," and pull sharply upwards, it just pops off. If the linkage from the knob is broken and lodged into the actual shifter it won't lock the gear shifter into position.

Worth a try

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had the entire console apart today looking at it. We had the shift knob off completely. While it was off, we didn't need to push the button (since it wasn't there) to move the shift lever position. Does that help at all with your idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
rmudryk said:
We had the entire console apart today looking at it. We had the shift knob off completely. While it was off, we didn't need to push the button (since it wasn't there) to move the shift lever position. Does that help at all with your idea?

Thanks
I have no clue what goes on below that... Do you have the rave manual?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Automatic transmissions are (almost) always fitted with detent discs (the photo below shows the one from the pre-‘06 5-speed L322 V8 transmission) which are attached to the selector shaft which is rotated by a lever connected to the cable at the other end of the shift lever in the car. The detent disc (more popularly known as the ‘rooster comb’ – you can probably see why from the photo :) ) has a spring-loaded roller rolling over its teeth which provides a positive detent between P, R, N & D – even if the shift lever in the car doesn’t.

The ZF 6HP26 transmission (as fitted to your 2006 L322) was the first transmission to introduce the option of integrated ‘shift-by-wire’ control which did away with the necessity for a mechanical cable connection to the transmission (& therefore there was no rooster comb). Instead, all of the detent ‘feel’ between the shift lever positions had to come from the shift lever itself.

However I thought that Land Rover had opted for the ‘M’ (mechanical?) version (as opposed to ‘E’ which presumably stands for electronic) of the 6HP26 which was fitted with a rooster comb and a mechanical cable and I assumed that this was the one fitted in the Range Rover. Unfortunately RAVE doesn’t cover the Range Rover from 2006 onwards so I’m not able to check this – a subscription to TOPIx would be required.

If it is the ‘E’ version in the Range Rover then your problem must be related to the shift lever itself. On the other hand if it’s the ‘M’ version then the problem could possibly be at the transmission end of the cable as you would expect the transmission to stay locked in ‘D’ without relying on the shift lever to hold it there, the function of the button on the lever being more to prevent inadvertent selection of the wrong ratio.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car is at the dealer as we speak. I will post the outcome as soon as we know.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer called and the ordered a new shift cable and bushing. $247.00 after labor and parts. Will see if the problem is fixed on Tuesday when I pick it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I've got a 2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4 (N/A model) and I had a similar issue. The selector wouldnt stay in drive, wiggle it a bit and it would stay there. Same for Park. but after a while i actually had to hold it there or try and stick it into sport mode so it would work, but then it would give me a transmission fault. The day I took it to the dealer, I could barely hold it into drive.

Service advisor knew what was up and had it done in a matter of 1 hour. He says, after a few years, the shifter linkages inside the center console corrode and they dont work properly. They took the console apart (kind of) and cleaned and repaired the linkages. Cost me 140.12$ CAD to have this fixed and now its working so much better. Shifter has never been this smooth or effort less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue. I sprayed the transmission cable, bushing and arm on the transmission with WD-40 Gel while it was in park. Then I did the same after shifting in drive.

Before I could not get the selector in Park to start the engine. I had to start in neutral. and the gear selector would pop out of drive.

Now it seems to be fixed with a few squirts of WD-40 Gel. Better than taking it to the dealer or tearing apart the console. Took 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@dljking I’m attempting to do the same. I have an 07 RR Sport. Any idea if there is a skiplate you had to unbolt to access the trans cable? I thought it was looking in the right place but it looks like I would need to unbolt the mine to access the trans/shifter cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts