RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got a slight problem with my new p38.
When I try to select park it will sit in the correct position but the car still thinks it is sitting in R.
I've tried adjusting it under the car and I can get it to go fine into park, but then I can't select 1st.
So I try somewhere unbetween on the adjustment, and I can't get into P or 1 easily then.
Any ideas what I'm looking at changing? Or am I adjusting it wrong?

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
What are you adjusting? The cable or the switch? When the lever is in the P position but the light next to it says it is in R, what gear is it actually in? The cable from the lever changes gears in the box but it also drives the XYZ switch that makes the lights next to the lever work. You probably need to adjust the switch bt it may be that you have a bit of backlash in the cable so although it is selecting the correct gear, it isn't moving quite far enough to operate the switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm adjusting the cable. when I try and put it in park, the reverse light it's illuminated. And it actually is in reverse ( my reverse lights are on!).
If I however push it really hard into park, Tyne centre console moves slightly and then it goes into park. That's why I thought I had to adjust the cable, but when I do, I then can't select 1st.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
The switch is behind the lever the cable operates on and is held in place in two places with slotted holes so you can adjust it (a 10mm headed bolt on one hole and a nut on the other). It is the switch and not the gearbox that brings on the reversing lights, inhibits the starter and controls which LED next to the lever is on and what gear is displayed in the message centre. What you need to do is get the position of the cable and what gear is actually selected, to match what the switch is saying what gear is selected. It's all in RAVE......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cheers for that, up download the rave tonight when I get in and have a read through. Hopefully get it sorted soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts