RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2 door Range Rover 3.9 V8 EFi my91
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, I am really happy and glad to join this community since I have in my possession a 1990 V8 3.9 2 door RRC and I realise there are many things I can learn from this data base! Let alone meet great people.
I decided to refurbish my gearbox since the second & third gear were "protesting against" me the last year. Moreover, when I checked the gearbox fluids I found metal chips inside them. Hence my decision to ship the gearbox to Ashcroft transmissions in the UK since no-one would take the time to fix it (prior to summer vacation aka August is close) in a reasonable price here (Athens, Greece). Yes my dears, shipping back& forth plus the refurbishment were cheaper than a local workshop. In any case the gearbox is ready and I would like to change the complete Clutch set (Plate, Cover, release bearing etc) as well. I have noticed in RimmerBros that they have 3 different options ...馃the most expensive one that is from LR, an OEM which comes second in price and an aftermarket one that is noticeably cheaper than the previous two. I suppose there must be a significant difference between them but there's no exact explanation. Which one should I go for ? Does anyone have similar experience and what would you advice me to do ....
I am thanking you in advance and look forward to your opinions, wish you all a great day.

Demetres

Attachments

Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
Nice Rover! Sounds like quite the ordeal for that rebuild!

The aftermarket ones are often from britpart or another chinese manufacturer, and quality is dubious at best (often awful). I would go with the mid-tier OEM, as the genuine land rover ones are often the exact same part with a huge land rover markup.

Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
Does not Ashcroft do clutch kits? ship it all together

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Nice Rover! Sounds like quite the ordeal for that rebuild!

The aftermarket ones are often from britpart or another chinese manufacturer, and quality is dubious at best (often awful). I would go with the mid-tier OEM, as the genuine land rover ones are often the exact same part with a huge land rover markup.
Dear LanceL thank you for your response ! I was thinking to go LR but OEM sounds logical plus that is half price....:rolleyes:

Registered
I would buy this one

AP is a good make that I use and trust. Their friction materials are very good quality and the clutch disc spring plate too.
Poor performance of the above components often end up with the clutch juddering, making is difficult to move the vehicle smoothly.

AP, SACHS, BORG & BECK, INA SHCAFFLER are generally good quality, within European supply chain.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys ...! one other thing that was concerning me is the exhaust.... I was thinking of changing the stock manifolds of the 3,9 V8 engine to a pair of more flow...I have already contacted Janspeed and their answer was ...:
"
Hi,

Unfortunately this is not something we do.

Kind Regards,"

which made me wonder.....dont they sell exhausts....anyway , does anyone has experience with this matter also...?
thank you all
Demeter

Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
Rimmer Bros sells a decent selection of Rover manifolds, including long tube and shorty headers, not sure what the emissions regulations are for you (cats or no cats).

I would caution that the manifolds aren't really a restrictive point for a stock rover, it's a small motor that doesn't flow a ton of air. A nice cat back exhaust with a better muffler will get you a nice sound, but not really any measurable power. For a muffler recommendation, I have a Flowmaster pro series 13012100 (for larger tubing) and it sounds pretty good, see youtube link below.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Rimmer Bros sells a decent selection of Rover manifolds, including long tube and shorty headers, not sure what the emissions regulations are for you (cats or no cats).

I would caution that the manifolds aren't really a restrictive point for a stock rover, it's a small motor that doesn't flow a ton of air. A nice cat back exhaust with a better muffler will get you a nice sound, but not really any measurable power. For a muffler recommendation, I have a Flowmaster pro series 13012100 (for larger tubing) and it sounds pretty good, see youtube link below.

Great info mate...allow me to comment on your saying...its a small motor............3.9 V8 for Europe...is quite big :rolleyes:
The only thing that would worry me is the level of rises decibels when opting for this upgrade, regardless of the possible better flow ...
cheers !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts