RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time user, long time watcher.
My 1999 p38 auto gave me a gearbox faut this morning. when i looked under the bonnet, it had blown all the gear box oil out through the dip stick. Anyone any ideas why this would happen ??? :oops:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Only time I had that happen to me was when I had a bad seal between the transfer case and transmission. It leaked the transfer case fluid into the tranny and blew it out of the fill tube. That was not on a RR, but you get the idea.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Check the level of the transfer case and see if that is right or not.
If the transfer case is very low or over filled, you have fluid transfer between the two I would say.
Also check the vent lines for the tranny and transfer case, as if these are blocked it will blow fluid out of the fill tube when it gets hot. Same as axle seals going for no apparent reason...normally a blocked vent line!
if the transfer case level is fine and vents are free when you check them, I think it will be a bad tranny issue :(

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
A '99 model with a dipstick......here all 99 onwards are non dipstick...

Anyway seems like your box may have been over filled with ATF or a really cheap and nasty oil was used as a refill thereby foaming excessively......cooler pipe prehaps ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all you're help guys. it took me a while to find a mechanic who'd look at it for me (not many here that will touch a auto box) even my usual "landrover mechanic" dropped me like a hot potatoe. turned out to be the vent pipe half blocked, as suggested by a few of you. :clap:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
rangieray said:
Thanks for all you're help guys. it took me a while to find a mechanic who'd look at it for me (not many here that will touch a auto box) even my usual "landrover mechanic" dropped me like a hot potatoe. turned out to be the vent pipe half blocked, as suggested by a few of you. :clap:
I'll take the credit for that one :thumb:
Glad it was an easy fix, hopefully the rest of the so called mechanics feel stupid now.... :roll:

Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts