RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am out of town and my wife's 99 RR 4.0 would not start in park and I believe it said gear box fault? I told her to try neutral and that worked one or two times. Now she can't get the car to start. Is this the neutral safety switch or is there an adjustment that can be made to get the car to start? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I am 500 miles away so I can't do much in the way of diagnostics from here.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
KMag is trying to point out that a weak or faulty battery can toss all sorts of error codes that may or may not be accurate. Please complete the electrical stickie above (the one you saw when you read the FAQ and stickies) and report back. Even 1/2 a volt off in readings can leave your truck usless and leading you in all sorts of wrong directions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I went to turn on the rover and it wouldn't start. I thought the battery had juice because the electrics seemed to work, but the car wouldn't start and it displayed a "gearbox fault" message. I spoke to my mechanic and he said it was most likely the battery. I had AAA come and give me a jump and the rover started right up. The AAA guy said it wasn't my alternator and that my battery was old/bad. It probably also doesn't help that I haven't been driving the rover much lately so when I do drive the battery isn't getting a full charge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got back home and it looks like the xyz switch went out on me. The white cover looks like the rivets gave way and I can see the orange gasket. Cheapest price I have found so far is $389. Di I just have to bite the bullet on this?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Depending on where you are located someone may be able to help you out with a used item for a fraction of the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts