RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Round two of the test with new molds and different plastic composition. Fit seems to be spot on, so now off to paint and screens.
IMG_5186.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Round two of the test with new molds and different plastic composition. Fit seems to be spot on, so now off to paint and screens.
View attachment 237058
It’s been a long road... but here is the first completed pair of speaker covers, all new plastic and metal grills. They came in at about double the cost we had hoped for, but time to see if there is a market for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those look great. You would never know they weren't original. I sort of expected them to just be smooth so the fact that you included the proper texture is even more impressive. Both front ears for the screws are broken off on both of mine but they still hang on there. Might be interested in a set of the shells only once everyone who really needs them has got some.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
... only once everyone who really needs them has got some...
LOL! Anyone who owns a 95 RRC & wants a half decent interior will need a pair.

I’m in for a pair, but without the metal screens. I can use my old ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
LOL! Anyone who owns a 95 RRC & wants a half decent interior will need a pair.

I’m in for a pair, but without the metal screens. I can use my old ones.
Hah, well like I said, mine still hang on and look decent but one wrong bump and they will be done. I'm sure there's people who have a completely shattered surround. The really bad parts on my 95 are the plastics under the seats that cover all the electronics.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Hah, well like I said, mine still hang on and look decent but one wrong bump and they will be done. I'm sure there's people who have a completely shattered surround. The really bad parts on my 95 are the plastics under the seats that cover all the electronics.
Yeah, it’s gotten to the point I’m afraid to touch anything plastic in my 95. The mount tabs on the speaker grill disintegrated when I turned the screw driver. Same thing happened with my previously perfect center dash bezel. It’s repairable, but it’s old brittle plastic. Hopefully, this too, can be 3D printed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I've been having problems with the site the past few days in multiple browsers... that said, I did kind of start two threads back in the day, one for grills and the other for general NLA parts, and then kind of mixed them up :???:

Totally agree the plastics on our '95s are disintegrating... you may have seen my post on the whole dash/defrost vent system shattering with any touch on my '95 build thread. Sooner or later we're going to have to figure out how to build the visible facia portion of the vent work out of metal, wood, or plastic and the run aftermarket ducts internally.

Curious to see what ECD will be doing with their new product line 0f RRC's and these issues - all new design or still using some original dash, door panel, etc. parts. I'm sure they'll come up with something at whatever price point they end up at!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi all, I'm in the process of producing the first 10 pairs of these. They will be in tan, but you can really paint them any color you want. We do them in an automotive paint booth with color matched paint. I know some of you expressed interest in a pair, but I need to you warn you they are not cheap. It turned out to be much harder than we thought and I can't just sell the plastic or the grills, etc. as I had to buy and pay for the materials and labor across all 10 pairs. My goal is just to recoup my investment in the whole process as I'm not sure what the demand will be.They're listed on eBay if you're interested and I'm happy to do a 25% discount for anyone on the forum.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts