RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
11 Posts
Hi, Yes I am interested in the repro speaker covers. I am also interested in other parts that are NLA that can be 3D manufactured. I purchased one of the gauge bezels manufactured similarly last year and the initiative of Max (Belgian). I have been delighted with the quality and strength compared to the original, which would crack all to easily. Thanks for undertaking this for us Jeffwm.
Best, John

·
Registered
166 Posts
ATU1017L.jpg
Would be worth to make few of these plastic clips holding the rear lower gate assist springs? They were $1 when available. Obsolete now. Part #ATU1017L.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Got some bad news today... to do the speaker covers right with formed metal screen seems cost prohibitive even at runs of 500 units (250 per side). I'm curious to see if others have done the grill in plastic too or been able to get metal screens from old ones and use them in a new plastic frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be happy with just the plastic...any updates?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Couldn't wait for you guys, had to go the route of ghetto epoxy. Needs a final sanding or 2, and a little more paint to get this thing to smooth out. (did a few mods to make it accept the radio.) Looks like garbage right now, so make fun of it all you want, but I got apple car play.

Ha. Let me know if this ever pans out.

IMG_8900.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
good for you! I didn't go for the price of the fascia either. took the complete unit out and rebuilt and remolded the broken parts, 12 of 14 mounting tabs. looks great, no more rattling & squeaks. w
at was your ghetto epoxy? I used ABS glue, takes a while to harden, but works well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
good for you! I didn't go for the price of the fascia either. took the complete unit out and rebuilt and remolded the broken parts, 12 of 14 mounting tabs. looks great, no more rattling & squeaks. w
at was your ghetto epoxy? I used ABS glue, takes a while to harden, but works well.
I had a well laid plan, where i took my cracked up dash, and modified it to accept the double din, by removing the pull out cup holder, and then filling the missing plastic with ABS plastic, and epoxying it all together. I then smoothed it out using standard bondo, did as many rounds as I could before getting bored. I painted it with primer and then gloss black paint. But upon refitting it and placing the radio into its resting place the brittle plastic crumbled and some of the bondo fractured. (i have a bunch of wires back there, 2 USBs an HDMI, plus RCA's and a 4 channel isolator to reduce alternator whine to say the least) The radio did not really want to stay slammed in there, so I used more 2 part epoxy to attach the plastic trim piece. Its going to be a PITA to get it out, if need be, but lets hope that wont happen for a while.

I turned the old air suspension switch into a custom battery isolator toggle switch, and i modified an old ashtray into my USB receptacle mounts. Its kind of hokey, but it works.

That being said. If anyone starts making soft dash facia's I will take 2 for a reasonable price tag =)

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I had a well laid plan, where i took my cracked up dash...upon refitting it and placing the radio into its resting place the brittle plastic crumbled ...
That's my fear, which is why I haven't bothered to yank the fascia out again to attempt repair, only to have it crumble upon reinstalling.

Off topic - grmole, did you ditch the BW or is that just the LT230 shiftknob?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Off topic - grmole said:
Sure did. Pretty easy swap. Collecting all the parts was the hardest part! Went to a 1.4 ratio in a LT230 out of defender to get better highway gearing with the 33s

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm getting close on the speaker grills... molds are complete and have done a couple test covers, HK logo piece 3D printed and doing forms for wire mesh covers. Should have something to show in a week or two.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I'm getting close on the speaker grills... molds are complete and have done a couple test covers, HK logo piece 3D printed and doing forms for wire mesh covers. Should have something to show in a week or two.
That's awesome! I'm ok without the wire mesh and HK logos, as I have a few I can reuse. The frame with mounting tabs is key for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here are some pics of the test run pair. They are made from urethane, painted and the screens are plasma cut and will be formed over a mold/form.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
That's awesome, put me down for a pair. I'm ok without the metal and the HK badges.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am definitely interested in a pair in Sorrel Tan after seeing these. I don't need the screens as mine are still good. They look absolutely amazing. Well done.
Phil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definitely interested in at least one pair of Sorrel Tan speaker grilles I don't need the screens I've got a stack of extras from broken grilles. Amazing what technology can do nowadays! Glad to know someone is doing their best to keep these things looking amazing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This looks really good. Well done and thank you! I will take a pair (L&R) in Light Stone please, plus the wire screen.
People like you who go to a lot of effort from which we all benefit, are an absolute asset to this community. My sincere appreciation. Best, John

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks guys, we had to go back and select another material for the plastic as well as update the molds a bit to get a better fit. Should have another set to test in a week or so and will let you know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm interested if you do a run of ash gray

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I'm interested if you do a run of ash gray