RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up with gas a couple days ago. I just saw that the paint under the gas flap started to bubble and pull away from the body. It appears that some gas must have run out of the tank (although the cap was tightened all the way). Is this common? I’ve seen gas drip on car paint but never seen this happen before.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow no I have never seen that before. Do you know the car history, has it had a paint job recently? Assuming paint is original, I doubt there has never been a spill before on an old vehicle. I occasionally spill but have never seen that. Now more something more aggressive like carb/brake cleaner - yes that can damage your paint.

Maybe the gas (aka petrol) has really high ethanol - e.i. wrong fuel in underground storage tanks. Might be worth going back to the fill up station and complain, might be more people with the same issue.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine hasn't been affected with minor spills there.

Though it looks a perfect match for some motorcycle tanks I've seen that have recently been repainted. Modern paint techniques and materials appear to have some susceptibility to current fuel.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
Modern paint techniques and materials appear to have some susceptibility to current fuel.
Failed adhesion of an aftermarket paint job can only be caused by poor prepwork of the previous finish.
Even the old nitrocellulose lacquer used on older Rovers would not peel like that. Fortunately acrylic lacquers and enamels have replaced nitrocellulous finishes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's the ethanol....is that just the clearcoat lifting?...lucky for you your paint is white and not some unmatchable metallic. I've had e-gas eat a rattle-can touch-up I did once to cover staining under a filler cap. ( not my p38, and not puckering like that). Take it to a body shop and ask them if they've seen anything like it...they might recognise that reaction, a clue to what paint was used. It looks like a brake-fluid reaction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts