RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if this behavior is normal.

When shifting manual I press the gas pedal to floor to force a downshift.

The transmission keeps shifting down to the lowest possible gear for the speed I am traveling. For example, I am in 6 at about 60mph and press the pedal to the click. Rover then shifts 1 gear at a time until it reaches 3rd gear. I was under the impression that a pedal press downshift should only go down 1 gear.

Is Rover behaving correctly?

Dave

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
The box employs various strategies to protect itself and the engine from damage, usually inflicted by the driver.

Being in top gear at 60 and then flooring it would labour the engine significantly (especially in a 6 speed), so much that you risk causing damage. In a manual car you would get a shudder, especially if there was any sort of incline.

If I drive in manual and forget that I've left in in 5th and come to a junction and slow right down when I come to pull away I find I'm locked into 1st or 2nd. I imagine your box is doing what it's designed to do. Why would you be trying to do that though?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan, what I am trying to do is get a 1 gear downshift which is what I thought the behavior should be.

The feature in the manual says to push the pedal to the floor and release it immediately for a downshift.

However, instead of 1 gear down as I expected, she went as low as she could.

Just trying to figure out if this is normal or if I need to ask MR\r. Service Manager for some help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Maybe it just defaults to what gear it "thinks" you should be in. I don't have a 6 speed so cant test it for you, maybe someone else will test it for you.

Dan

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is perfectly normal. At the bottom of the peddle there is a switch and if activated it initiates something called kickdown in which the RR downshift to get a high increase in torque and a hard thrust of acceleration. You should however be able to floor it, but not all the way down so as not to activate the switch and that should not cause a downshift. You should feel the switch depress when you push all the way down.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Ok, well I tried it in mine. 60 and locked in 5th, kicked down and it selected 3rd....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan, it selecting the lowest possible gear. Ergo Rover is behaving correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts