RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea of the difference in gas mileage between the 2012 Range Rover HSE and 2012 RR Supercharged? Assuming casual driving, not pushing hard on the engine, mostly highways.
I am looking to buy a 2012 L322, Ideally the HSE Lux, since I don't need the 500+ HP of the Supercharged, but I found a nice SC, so I am considering going for it.

Any advice welcome, thanks for your help!
Nick

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
No one need 500+ hp, but it sure is nice. My SC got 14 mpg on the highway with some mountains and running around 75+ mph over 300 miles. Return trip, slowed a little and got 16. I feel that isn't bad considering the weight and power. My Audi with V8 would be 17 or 18 on same trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that makes sense. All I could find online was that the gas mileage was the same between the 2 engines, which sounded odd. Still debating if the Supercharged is a good idea...but the car is nice! We'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
The gas mileage is the same, I owned both.

It's worse in the Supercharged if you start using that 500hp, otherwise it is identical staying out of boost. I'd go for the SC. Great for passing people, towing, some fun, etc.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yah, hard to use it often on a big hefty SUV, run out of road quick. Which will make you appreciate the enormous brakes. But I think its probably absolutely crazy in an F-type Jag with same motor.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
72 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea of the difference in gas mileage between the 2012 Range Rover HSE and 2012 RR Supercharged? Assuming casual driving, not pushing hard on the engine, mostly highways.
I am looking to buy a 2012 L322, Ideally the HSE Lux, since I don't need the 500+ HP of the Supercharged, but I found a nice SC, so I am considering going for it.

Nick
My 2011 SC gets 19 mpg @ 70 mph consistently, dividing miles into gallons the old fashioned way. The trip computer reads 7-10% more than actual mpg. Around town is usually 12-14 average mpg. It is on par with Tahoe & Expeditions and rides, runs & tows much better. My 2 cents. regards, John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will get a Ranger Rover, so I won't compare it to others like the Tahoe etc, but I was focused on 2012 HSEs and then a 2012 SC popped up, so I was just trying to assess the cons of the SC. Keralis' answer was very helpful in comparing the two engines.
Thanks all for the great insights

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
572 Posts
Hi,

Nick
Go for SC.
I dont know the gas quality in usa but i simply don’t like direct injection system.
4.2 engine is mega reliable you can buy a 2009SC and save money after that you can use saving money for tuning your car.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Direct injection in the 5.0 has been proven reliable. New direct injection pumps are $130, and injectors aren't the end of the world either. Carbon build up is on par with a port injection vehicle (which I thought was very surprising)

Now, if you can maintain the tensioners, water pump, and PCV valve I would take the 5.0 over a 4.2 any day.

Which I'll lead to:
Your first preventative maintenance repair should most definitely be the two PCV valves on the passenger side(US) valve cover. These fail over time and cause excessive oil consumption and can lead to engine failure in case of running low on oil. Most of all bottom end 5.0 failures I've seen have been due to this happening.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
133 Posts
I average about 12mpg on my SC. I flog it and changing out one of the pullies and putting a fuel map in doesn't help with my tank to tank average.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts