RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was driving 2006 RRSC downtown Cincinnati after football game, and ran out of gas in the middle of the bridge between Ohio & Kentucky.

Gas Gauge indicated I still had about 1/8 tank, and computer indicated 57 miles until empty. We were driving downtown, and the engine cut out. I knew something was wrong, but hoped to make it home. No Luck, halfway across the bridge the car stopped, and wouldn't restart. Had to call the police because Football game was ending and I was blocking southbound lane. I called a flat bed to move take the Range Rover to my house. I used connected my bludriver to pull the codes, and they were all related to low fuel pressure at fuel rail. I assumed that my fuel pump had probably failed, but thought I should add some gas to verify level. I added 2 gallons of Gas, and engine started up and ran fine. I drove a few blocks to closet gas station and it took 25 gallons to fill up.

I searched the forum, but couldn't find any info about similar problems with Gas Engine. I saw a post that mentioned gas gauge doesn't work, or erraticlly give incorrect readings.

Is there a way to re-calibrate the gauge?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had similar issues. It would say 18 DTE and then boom no gas. No long after that my fuel pump went out. I have no clue if they were related but every since I got a new fuel pump it hasn't happened. If it say 0 then I still have some, not sure how much but I'm not out. Before that it happened several times. My wife and I never would let it get below 50 on the DTE because of it. It took about 6 months after it started happening for me to have problems with the fuel pump.

I have no clue if they're connected but thought I would let you know. If you start having starting problems then you know what it is.

·
Registered
385 Posts
What’s a coincidence, I ran out of gas yesterday in my 2006 with the computer stating that I had 58 miles of fuel remaining. My low fuel light had come on about 15 miles earlier.

I was was trying to get back home and refill at my regular gas station. I was lucky that I ran out of fuel 100 feet from a gas station. The kick in the nuts was that I had to buy a 2 gallon fuel container from them because they didn’t have a jug to put a gallon or two of gas in for me. Boy did that leave a bad taste in my mouth. I went back today to tell the owner what I thought of their friendly customer service. :snooty:

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
Folks, DTE is ONLY an estimate based on your average MPG in your trip computer. Unless you reset you trip computer on a regular basis, based on your currents driving conditions, you will never have a DTE that can be trusted. Remember all "AVG" readings in your trip computer are determined by what has happened since last it was manually reset. if you have never reset, all readings you can scroll through are pretty much useless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't going by the DTE. The gauge showed that I still had 1/8 of a tank or more. The low level light never even came on.

I read the codes with my blu driver, and didn't see any codes related to fuel sending unit. I will make sure and reset the trip odometer every fill up, until i determine what is causing the actual problem.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
64 Posts
I have a problem with the fuel gauge level also, the indicator shows an empty tank with the light on, also the pump is very noisy.
The past week arrived my new fuel pump from LRDirect, so when i change it i want to fix the fuel gauge. I hope to share the results with you.
RRToadhall told me on another thread that the ignition key or a relay its involved with the fuel gauge when you change the fuel pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts