RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 HSE, so it shows 75 miles range when in fact the tank is empty. Is this something where the float is perhaps hung up and I can free it up or do I need to replace something? Thoughts? TIA

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
without inspecting it there would be no way to say. 8-|=

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I would look to see if the float is hanging up...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
26 Posts
Hey let me know what you find out when you take your tank out. I think I am having the same issue... Mine seemed like it ran out of gas at 65 miles to empty the other day and lucky for me there was a gas station 1 block away...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,311 Posts
Theres two fuel level senders in the tank, one on the left and one on the right side of the tank each one is slightly different and each monitors their respective side of the tank because theres a hump in the bottom of the tank that separates the tank into 2 halves when the tank is below about half full. Part of the output flow of fuel from the main fuel pump on the right side of the tank drives a jet pump in the left side of the tank, which pumps fuel from the left side of the tank back over to the right side, so the main fuel pump can pick it up and send it to the engine. The instrument panel averages the signals from the two senders to provide the gas gauge reading, and light the low fuel lamp at a signal equal to 12.5L from either level sensor. Sensor resistance range is 51 ohms at empty and 992 ohms full. The left and right sensors as set slightly different such that the 0 level on the left sender is 51 ohms, and full is 911 ohms wit h low level lamp set at 94 ohms, the right sender is set to 86 ohms empty 991 ohms full and the low fuel light is set to come on at 160 ohms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts