RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I take my '14 v8 to the gas station for a fill, start the gas pump, and go inside the station to grab a drink. Come out, not looking, and drive off. Seconds later, I realize that the tank isn't full.

The next day, I go to fill up again and actually wait there to see if my tank fills. Sure enough, after a few gallons, the pump clicks and shuts off. I squeeze again and a few dollars later, it shuts off again. Rinse, repeat. No luck getting a full tank.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

I think it's time to schedule an appt at the dealer...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
it happens at certain stations every now and then. just try another pump or station next time.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
60 Posts
Happened the last time I tried to fill up. Gave up after about 20 gallons...figured it was close enough. I assumed it was that sp gas pump, but interested to see how many other people have this issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
generally due to the tank not able to vent at the rate the gas is going in. Try backing out the nozzle an inch or so and also dont fill at the full locked on rate.
dont rotate the nozzle it will disable the auto shutoff feature

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,422 Posts
dont rotate the nozzle it will disable the auto shutoff feature
That's wrong. A small pipe called a venturi runs alongside and inside the nozzle. When the venturi becomes submerged in the rising gas, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle handle open and shuts down the flow of gas. The nozzle orientation has nothing to do with the auto shutoff mechanism.

·
Registered
112 Posts
just like JBmemphis mentioned for his 911, my 911 turbo has always had this issue. i have to hold the handle a bit more up than where it would sit if i just let it stay without holding it. also, i don't squeeze the handle all the way for the fastest fuel flow or use the auto-fill feature. that gives the fuel more time to flow in without backing up and activating the auto shutoff. you can guess about how much fuel you should need to fill up by knowing the capacity of the gas tank, and whether you're 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 empty too. you shouldn't have to do this with a really nice car, but my $150k 911 turbo has done this since it was brand new.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
Try rotating the nozzle 90 degrees or even 180 degrees. That sometimes helps.
Then the gas could spill out on to the ground. At that point the station owner could get a little mad.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
That's wrong. A small pipe called a venturi runs alongside and inside the nozzle. When the venturi becomes submerged in the rising gas, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle handle open and shuts down the flow of gas. The nozzle orientation has nothing to do with the auto shutoff mechanism.
I know it might sound odd but the venturi is located on the buttom of the nozzle spout. If the nozzle is inverted it will now be on the top. Just that little bit of difference will change how the nozzle works. IMG_20140612_163230.jpg

IMG_20140612_163412.jpg This nozzle was designed so that it could be filled in any orientation.

Either way the flow of product will trigger the shutoff mechanism but a spillage can occur if refueling incorrectly.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,422 Posts
In California, because of it's strict air quality standards, nozzles in most counties are mandated to have a seal near the tank opening that prevents fuel (and fumes) from spilling out during the filling process. I'm sure this area also requires the 360 degree venturi configuration. I have filled many cars with the nozzle upside down and haven't had gas on my toes. We also pay $4.50 a gallon for the stuff.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
In California, because of it's strict air quality standards, nozzles in most counties are mandated to have a seal near the tank opening that prevents fuel (and fumes) from spilling out during the filling process. I'm sure this area also requires the 360 degree venturi configuration. I have filled many cars with the nozzle upside down and haven't had gas on my toes. We also pay $4.50 a gallon for the stuff.
Most highly populated areas follow the rules that CARB creates. CARB speaks and the EPA tends to follow their lead.

Carcoal canisters in vehicles fueling neck are kind making those vapor recovery ozzles obsolete. Ofcourse states are going to be slow in phasing them

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,422 Posts
Most highly populated areas follow the rules that CARB creates. CARB speaks and the EPA tends to follow their lead.

Carcoal canisters in vehicles fueling neck are kind making those vapor recovery ozzles obsolete. Ofcourse states are going to be slow in phasing them
I think you have to move to Saudi Arabia to escape CARB. What a joke! I see in your signature the hunkin' boat your towing. Have you towed with the RRS yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am taking my 2012 RRS LUX in for this issue to the dealer tomorrow morning. Anybody have any insight into a solution for this? I have had this into many different gas stations (Chevron, Shell, Costco, Safeway, etc...) and all have the same problem. Its either really slow (1 gallon every 22 seconds at a Chevron, which had a pump handle that seemed to modify the speed of the pump output based upon how much the filler would allow), or it just shuts off every 2secondsif you pull the handle full-throttle. This happens at Costco and Safeway and other places. I think the vent is stuck shut or clogged or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I got the problem fixed. There was a blockage in he air vent tube caused by the little tyke tiny flap in the first picture. It was sticking shut. I thought no hey said it has fell off or something causing the blockage. So if you have this problem, look for the little flap. If you don’t see it, there is your issue

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts