RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I know this may seem like a dumb question but do you guys leave the GAP tool plugged in all the time or do you just plug it in when you need to use it?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
517 Posts
funny you ask... I usually only plug it in when I need it. About 2 years ago I adjusted the EAS to max height for some pictures and left it plugged in for a few days. When I tried to revert back to normal height the tool would not see the EAS ECU. It only found like 8 of the 22 ECU. I messed with it and emailed back & forth with the GAP guys and they finally told me to send it in so they could look at it. A few days later I received my new tool. They did not say what happened but the new tool works fine. I'm not saying leaving it plugged in is the cause but it worked great for 2 years then died. This was the only thing I could figure may have caused it. I also think the GAP guys mentioned not to leave it in all the time in a post here.
Best $$ I have spent on the rover.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
39 Posts
The manual says to not leave it plugged in all the time as it was not designed for that. I don't both because of what the manual says, and also because it causes my RRS to go into limp home mode with the Engine Performance Reduced message displaying in the instrument cluster. I had not seen any other mention of that in the forums here, but when I emailed GAP about it, the response I got was that "the manual is [my] friend," so clearly I was the one doing it wrong even though nobody else seems to experience that and there's no mention of this anywhere in the manual. :neutral:

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Leaving 2800 CAD plugged in? I have seen screens smashed for a mere radio!
I nearly had a heart attack when I realized that I left it plugged in a car.
Luckily the client was honest and understanding I 2 days later it arrived at our post office.

I don't think it comes to great harm if you leave it in the car during a big job.

But then often it is a great idea to unplug it so that you see whether your changes have worked correctly.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts