RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI: If you use a single filament bulb in the dual filament brake light.

Hi,
I accidentally replaced the P21/5 with just a P21 that i had laying around at my house (for a toyota i think).

What happens is totally crazy, especially when the headlamps are on.

First the front side lamps will come on when ever you brake, totally acceptable.

Second, something funky (out of my understanding) happens when you turn on the head lamps. Definitely makes a clicking sound when the headlamps are turned to the first position (found in the hindsight), like when the brakes are pressed. Other symptoms included, not changing GEARS OUT OF FIRST. I figured out that manual shifting worked and proceeded to driving home and half way there all sorts of faults are thrown, HDC, transmission, brake light, suspension lowered.
I am assuming the car thinks the brakes are pressed when the head lamps are on. Any explanations?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Re: FYI: If you use a single filament bulb in the dual filament brake light.

don't mess with the brake bulbs man.

file.php?avatar=19965_1311265316.jpg

·
Registered
707 Posts
Re: FYI: If you use a single filament bulb in the dual filament brake light.

Yes good advice - however if there is a fault with the bulbs you can see what happens to the car - not good. To get around future issues I have replaced my tail/stop incandescent globes with a LED equivalent - they will last a lifetime and hopefully not have an issue of a blown filament.

Garry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts