RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to be the cheapest bastage in the universe I ordered some non-LR specific hood struts to keep my ninja attack hood in place... I figured 60# each struts would be fine. Wrong. Ninja hood strikes again with a judo chop to the neck. So I ordered some 120# struts and got them an inch longer. Will confirm victory or defeat in my next report.

-Mag

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've done the same thing. Set off trying to save money by taking an "unorthodox" approach or part, and end up spending twice as much as it would've been for the proper part.

That hurts as much as the whack on the noodle sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well with the 2nd set I'm still a little cheaper than buying one factory set... plus I'll use the 60 lb'ers around the house somewhere... I have a thousand and one uses for them.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the 120#'ers today and threw em on... they're about 1/2" longer than stock, which is nice btw since it opens the hood up a little more. I think these are actually 150#'ers since the part # ends in 150... and they can hold up the hood with just one of them hooked up. Probably would be better off with something around 90# each... or 100# even... but these will do.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Part numbers??
Sources to buy from?
Common Keith.....;-)

Martin

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Hmmm, the ones that hold the bunk up in the big rig are shot, may need to measure them up and see what he has! I know the dealership wants a fortune for them, thus why the weak ones are still there.

Martin

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His prices are tops. I've had a set in my 007 safe for a few years (has to lift about 300# to open) and they've been great. Put some in the tailgate of the P38 and never gave me any issues in the 3-4 years I had it after I put them in.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Ordered the same ones for the hood, and a pair for the tailgate.
Tailgate ones are 24.4" extended, 13.75" closed, 120lbs.
Will post results when I get them on there, but for $67 shipped, cant complain at all.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
24.4" extended are too long, pushes the hatch against the hinge too much for comfort. The seller is sending me a pair of 20" ones, will update when we get them.
The hood ones worked perfect though!

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Cool! I need to replace the hatch struts.
They are from the same Ebay seller, but will give you the part numbers etc when I get the new ones and make sure they fit.
Keith was kind enough to be the test mule for the hood struts, so I will do the same for the rears...
For both sets, delivered, it was $67.90 though, and I would think the 20's are cheaper than the 24.4's. Still an excellent price though in my book. I couldn't touch it when I went comparison shopping online.

Martin

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found the seller on Ebay, but the link provided doesn't work anymore.

Can you tell me what struts you used for the front & rear (part #'s ? ) . Both front & rear on my L322 are going south..

Thanks!!
-Tommy

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just measure yours and buy ones the same length or SLIGHTLY longer... 120# or so. I think 90# would actually work if you found it. I used 150# and to be honest they're too strong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just measure yours and buy ones the same length or SLIGHTLY longer... 120# or so. I think 90# would actually work if you found it. I used 150# and to be honest they're too strong.
That's too easy. ;) Thanks or the tip on the vendor.

-Tommy

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got mine last week from BPUTAH. No dramas, and they have both options. Checking at their price, about the same as the eBay one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you tell me what struts you used for the front & rear (part #'s ? ) . Both front & rear on my L322 are going south..
After about 30 minutes of research, I was able to determine the OEM gas struts/lifts for the L322 rear tailgate are rated at 130lbs / 130# each and 92lbs / 92# for the hood/bonnet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts