Range Rovers Forum banner

Fuse meltdown that wasn't? HVAC blower operating without key

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pwood999 
#1 ·
I think this is a fuse box issue, but wanted to get some other opinions before I start in on it. Got in the vehicle the other morning and after it started, I saw warning lights Fuse 8, Fuse 9, Fuse10, Fuse 12, Fuse 20, Fuse 22 all blown. Windows don't work, lights on dash and heating/cooling all out. When I shut the car off, the fan blower from the heating and cooling system comes on full blast. Turn on car, fan goes off but all fuses still out. Leave for an appointment and come back 2 hours later, fan is still going. Unhook negative terminal to battery for a few hours and then hook it up to drive to barn and park it, fan goes kind of crazy while driving and then when I shut it off and restart, all fuses are working and not blown. A few days later, all fuses apparently out and blower issue returns. Got it off again and it is sitting.

I have had the vehicle for four years and had one service early where the guy told me I needed a new fuse box under the seat. Really expensive, so didn't do it. A few months ago I traveled, came back and battery was dead. Upon charging was getting strange noises from the rear wiper motor. Pulled the fuse for it, but still making noises. Finally went in and unhooked everything for it by the wiper. Then multiple weeks later I noticed it was sluggish starting and one day driving noticed one of my interior (rear passenger) lights was on. thought I solved that, but the next night noticed it on while sitting. It would go off when I opened the door, close the door and after a few seconds it would come on and stay on. Finally pulled the light out as I couldn't figure it out.

I don't think related, but also during this time period the gas door release stopped working. Got my one pull from the cord and got it open, and currently have that all torn apart to recreate a better pull. Was my project, but obviously the above has taken precedence. I'm in the process of moving cross country -- have the car in the new location, but not a lot of my tools and stuff. Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi. I had exactly the same issue a couple of years ago. It would come and go at random, some times while driving. Turned out one of the large studs on the underside of the fusebox in the engine bay that takes power to the BECM had come away from the circuit board (There are 3 but I cannot remember which one had the problem) If you remove the fuse box you should easily be able to see if one of the studs is wobbling about a bit. Had it repaired and it’s been fine ever since.

#3 ·
+1 on the fusebox, but not the one on the side of the BeCM under the seat, but the one under the bonnet. Buy new, no point messing with secondhand that may work for a while before failing the same as yours has, and bear in mind there are a number of different ones so you need the correct one to match your VIN.

#4 ·
Thanks, guys. I expected it to be the fuse box under the seat since that is where all the fuses that were supposedly blown are located, but what you are saying makes sense. Going to be two weeks before I can pull it out so gives me time to get it ordered.

#5 ·
But all those fuses are fed from the underbonnet fusebox, so if the BeCM thinks they are blown when they aren't, they aren't being supplied with power. Particularly as all of them are fed from the same supply from the underbonnet fusebox.....

#6 ·
Did something stupid last night. Went to take a peak under the fuse box in the bonnet and did not unhook the battery cable. thought about it, but didn't want to start some other chain reaction. Of course, setting it back in I sparked something. Turns over, but won't start. Dash lights are off, but still making beeps. Fuses all look ok, so must be a relay I blew. Any guess? I'll look through Rave, but I'm on a Mac so they only way I have figured out how to use it is by scrolling through hundreds and hundreds of pages looking for something.

#9 · (Edited)
I'll look through Rave, but I'm on a Mac so they only way I have figured out how to use it is by scrolling through hundreds and hundreds of pages looking for something.
I have a copy of RAVE that works on Macbook. Download all files to a folder on Mac, but make sure you retain the folder structure. Then open the "rave-lr.pdf" using the OSX version of Adobe Reader DC.

Rave_All_Models

#7 ·
You've probably blown one of the Maxi fuses (1, 4 or 5 as these feed the studs on the underside that send power to the BeCM), or toasted the fusebox completely now.

#8 ·
Thanks. I'm in the middle of moving from Gloucester, MA to a farm in Northern MO while working a full-time job, learning how to use a tractor for the first time, graveling a long road and quite a few other projects, So life got really busy for me recently and this vehicle is perfect for where i live and I really love it, but haven't had time to mess around with it as much as I used to. And as all of you know it isn't easy to find anyone to work on the quirkiness of these vehicles but yourself, and there is certainly no one within 150 miles of me even if I was inclined to pay for it. So I greatly appreciate the tips to shorten my guesses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.