RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was installing new radiator bleeder hose and routing it under the fuse box. The three screws holding the fuse box were out because i'd been doing some testing to check if my a/c electric fans were working (battery was disconnected when I was testing the fans). In the mean time I'd reconnected the battery and forgot about that. I moved the fuse box towards the center of the car and then got some sparks. Disconnected the battery immediately, checked for any damage (couldn't really see anything), checked all the maxi fuses and they are all fine. Reconnected the battery, car starts up fine and other than the "not set" warnings I couldn't see any warning signs or error messages. On closer inspection i found what looked like a mark left by a spark on the middle of the three cables under the fuse box (for some reason I can't get the picture to load, but it's this one from the fuse box repair page: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/electrical/fbox_under1.jpg )

All I can find on these wires is that they seem to power the BECM, but I can't find out specifically what the middle wire powers so I don't know where to start looking to see if I've caused any damage. Any guidance on this one? My thinking is that the electricity went from the fusebox connection and grounded itself on the chassis and I guess the spark was small enough that none of the fuses went.

I now understand why RAVE calls for disconnecting the battery on almost all of the repair jobs.

·
Super Moderator
2,197 Posts
Those 3 terminals supply power to the BeCM via the maxi fuses (1, 4 and 5) so you'd need a pretty hefty spark to blow one of those. If none are blown, you haven't done any damage just given yourself a fright and learnt a lesson.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts