RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's become a real nightmare with my 98 RR and the door locking problems.

7 months ago the drivers door lock jammed and the security system shut down the computer and I had to order a sync-mate from the country of Greece. But it did it's job and got me back on the road again until yesterday.

I drove to town and got a error message on the dash that FUSE 9 FAILED, but nothing changed, so I finished the drive and went to the store and back home. The # 9 fuse was blown so I replaced it. But when I locked the RR the alarm wnet off and the #9 fuse brunt again. Thats the way it is right now. I did notice the front two windows , driver and passenger side will not rool down, but both back windows work fine.

If I ty to lock it the fuse will blow. What could it be?

I can't be the only 98 RR owner that this has happened to am I?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
I can't be the only 98 RR owner that this has happened to am I?
Maybe you're the only one on the forum at the moment?
Fuse 9 is the power feed to the front door outstations.
Anyway IIRC you had a mechanical problem with the drivers door lock a while back which you solved with some grease. I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that unless you took the latch out, stripped and greased it properly, checked microswitches and put it back in, as opposed to just squirting a bit of grease around the visible parts, that maybe the locking mech has seized and burned out/ shorted a motor.
It's either that or you've a pinched wire somewhere.
Fault finding will have to be by checking the PB cables for power at each outstation C302 (with F9 replaced of course) and the OB and OK wires from outstation to latch for damage. If all that's good unplug latch connector and check the OB and OK wires (motor feeds) for short to earth.
That's a good starting point anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange locking failure with Fuse 9 Failed

Yesterday the error message came on the dash of my 98 P38. When I tried to lock the RR the alarms go off. I replaced fuse 9 and hit the lock and the alarms acme on and the fuse was blown again.

I noticed the front windows will not roll down but the two back seat windows work fine. The back hatch glass and the tailgate work fine too.

Last winter I had the drivers door latch jam and it set off the computer and I had to order a sync-mate from the country of Greece to get the engine code to work again. This time the RR is still drivable, the AC works the radio works, everything seems to work except the front two windows.

I hope someone esle has had this same problem so I can quickly ID the culpret.

If no one post an idea I'll pull off the drivers door panel again and start there.

Last time the metal links in the door were just overly dry and jammed. I put lube everywhere needed and the latch works smooth again. No rust, just dry.

Any one here had the same P38 problem?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,159 Posts
If you are blowing fuse 9 every time you lock the vehicle, then it will be one or both of the front door latch motors which has burnt out/shorted more than likely OR the wiring to one of the latches hasn't been re secured properly in the past and has chafed through and now shorts out to something in the door.

The reason you lose all function in the door is because that fuse powers both front outstations - and they control the windows/mirrors etc aswell as the central locking. The central locking motors will ultimately take their power (when triggered) from the power the outstation gets - so if the latch motor has failed, or the wiring is shorting out, then it will blow it every time.

If the drivers door lock has jammed before and the latch wasn't replaced - then I'd start there too...
The quickest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts