RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and I hope someone can help me. I have a 1991 Range Rover Classic 3.9 Automatic transmission.
I purchased the car 3 months ago from some who had left the car sitting in the garage for 5 years due to ill health, when I got the car I changed all the oil filters and greased everything as I knew it had been sitting.

The problem I have is since I have had the car, there has been this strange noise comming from what I believe to be the transmission, only when it warms up either driven or sitting on the drive. The noise starts and can only be described as the sound you get when you leave some change in your jeans and put them in the tumble dryer. Its like a rattle but is on a specific frequency. The noise has just got a bit worst and it seems that just off idle the transmission is rattleing like an exhaust rattle but its the transmission. The noise is present in park, drive and neutral.

My question is can this be the Torque convertor? I have never really taken apart or understood how an automatic transmission works, but it seems doing some diggin on the internet nobody has this problem. My other question is I see on some sites on the internet that when you put in a new TC you fill it with oil, is mine empty becuase it drains out while sitting for 5 years? is there away the gearbox fills the TC inside.

I realize this may be a new transmission but just wanted to see if anybody had any lower cost ideas, before I scrap it and find a new one.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I would be very surprised if a metalic rattle would be your transmission. It's more likely a heat shield or similar item transmitting. Once you start your rig the transmission pump circulates fluid through the rntire circuit. This would fill your convertor. As long as your fluid is at proper level you have fluid in your convertor. With that said it certainly wouldn't hurt to flush the tranny and change the filter. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I will have a good look around it to see if there is a heat sheet problem. I will give the transmission a flush, the transmission works fine in all the gears etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts