RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both left and right indicators have adopted a Funky Attitude when I'm driving.

If I turn on the indicator, it may work fine for a few seconds, and then the click noise runs at double speed, and neither the interior indicator reminder light or the exterior indicator flash. After a few seconds of this, both the indicator lamp, and the trailer/towing hitch blink once, and then the indicators work as normal. Repeat many times at random.

All the indicator lights check out, and I could not reproduce the problem with the Hazard lights, only with the turn signal.

Do I just need a new flasher relay?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone any ideas on this. The relay for the indicators seems to be about $50 and I don't want to buy this if it isn't the culprit...
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi James
Many turn signal flashers are designed to run with a fixed load, ie. a predetermined number of bulbs (usually two). If one of the bulbs burns out on one side of the vehicle the remaining bulb will light up but not blink because there is not enough juice flowing to activate flashing mechanism. Conversely if an extra bulb is added to the circuit the flasher will heat up too quickly because of the added amperage and the lights will blink rapidly. This is a common problem when adding a trailer to a truck and not having the right type of flasher. It's possible the wrong type of flasher was put in there at one time. So it sounds like you have a short circuit and somehow your truck is trying to flash extra lights. Not sure if this helps. You're problem is kinda funky :?
Also keep in mind the turn signal flasher is separate from the emergency flasher unit.

good luck
dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I omitted to mention, that the problem has got worse. The indicators never flash now, I just get the double speed.clicking all the time.
The only oddity, is if it's a really cold morning, before the RR has heated up, the indicators might work for a little while.

I'm going to take the relay out this weekend, and give it one of those special taps that sometimes fix things.... 8~

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Generally speaking, reducing the load, not increasing it, causes the blinkers to run too fast. I'd look for a faulty connection or blown globe in one or more of the light assemblies.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't see any bulbs that are out.

I'm beginning to think this is voltage related. Often the indicators will work until I come to a stop. When I start up again, and the revs climb, the indicators will kick in again.

Does anyone know if the relay has any serviceable parts? I've never disassembled one, but is is possible that dirty contacts (?) in the relay are causing this...?

Of I could just buy another and see if that fixes it.. For an '89 with tow hitch, is YWT10002L the right part?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts