RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anything beat driving your p38 in a huge snow storm? what a blast! we're getting hit hard right now and i just went out for some winter wonderland fun and a few errands.

plowing the roads is totally futile at this point so they aren't even bothering. the snow on the roads is 4" and that's in places they plowed earlier. i even did some mini off roading in a field to get off the pavement for few minutes. p38 performed flawlessly as usual, and with no air-down from road pressure. :clap:

it's such a pleasure to drive in these conditions in a land rover while seeing all the pickups fishtailing and the other suvs creeping along while you cruise by at 40 mph. :naughty:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I want to see some action shots! Put that camera into video mode and spin it up!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would've before i started drinking becks! :mrgreen:
i was a senior in high school during the blizzard of '96 in nj and my one buddy had a white defender 90 and my other buddy had a white suzuki samurai.
god those two vehicles were amazing for snow wheeling! both bone stock and both incredible in the snow off road and on. good times!

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Ahhh, Suzuki Roller Ride... sigh. As much as we tried we simply could not kill that dang thing! Even after rolling down the face of a cliff the darn bugger just kept going. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Lol...I used to wheel with a guy in MI who had a sammy. We wouldn't leave unless he rolled it at least once...every time we went out. It too, wouldn't die. And it would get through **** near anything.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which segueys nicely into this portion of the fond memory. those two psychos would just plow into snowdrifts for the hell of it and it was redonkulous. both with standard transmissions performing at their finest. and burnouts and drifts in frozen lots or fields forget it!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I love driving my Rangi up the mountains in the snow, I also love driving it in the wind, It stays stead fast man..

Scotty

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
We've had snow over here too and while nowhere near as much as what you guys in the US it's been pretty fun. My P38 has also performed flawlessly, was sch a pleasure to drive, nothing beats driving along, at night, snow coming down, heating on, heated seats on - brilliant!

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday helping stranded motorists who got stuck at the bottom of a rather steep hill round here. My P38 pulled all 14 (i had way too much time on my hands in the afternoon!) cars I helped up the hill with no problems what so ever, even I was surprised as I could hardly keep upright while attaching the tow line it was so slippery but it just soldiered on.

Most memorable parts were pulling a brand new (picked up from the dealer less than a week ago) BMW X6 up and some sort of Merc AMG Coupe rear wheel drive thing. The X6 got a little way up and just stopped and couldn't get any further, wheels were spinning uselessly, the bloke even said he should of bought a RR instead, and the Merc was just rear wheel drive but the wife called her husband down from where they lived a few mins up the road and he reckoned that by putting it into winter mode it would magically make its way up the hill - it didn't!

Thing I worry about the most while out in the snow is other drivers, especially those who have no idea how to drive in the snow and just blunder along and slide all over the place. Saw so many bumps and bangs yesterday I lost count!

-Will :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thing I worry about the most while out in the snow is other drivers, especially those who have no idea how to drive in the snow and just blunder along and slide all over the place. Saw so many bumps and bangs yesterday I lost count!
We got hit pretty badly too, and I just love the control of the vehicle. Won't let you get out of control even if you try, it some how regains. Stops very quickly, it is very predictable (which is rare, most cars are erratic) only thing I need to worry about is stopping too fast and getting rear-ended. I'm just running a typical set of all terrains too, unlike everyone else paying 800 or more for snow tires :D .[attachment=2:25g5kh8j]Picture 001.jpg[/attachment:25g5kh8j][attachment=1:25g5kh8j]Picture 002.jpg[/attachment:25g5kh8j][attachment=0:25g5kh8j]Picture 003.jpg[/attachment:25g5kh8j]

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Your pics make me jealous, I was never any good driving on road in the snow, but it was so fun off road. I don't miss the temperature though, it's 50F here and i'm freezing my ass off. Lets see some more snow pics, i'm hoping it will get me motivated enough to rake a road trip up north.

·
Registered
9 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Ahhh, Suzuki Roller Ride... sigh. As much as we tried we simply could not kill that dang thing! Even after rolling down the face of a cliff the darn bugger just kept going. :thumb:
Agreed, those little Suzuki's just bounce over snow and mud and are great fun, but the short wheel base on ice was a bugger. The only way the wife killed hers was in an ice storm by doing a 180 spin, hitting a rock outcrop while travelling backwards, followed by an air bourne 180 roll (not touching the ground) and landing back on it's wheels. It started right up afterwards, they drove it out of the ditch and then she drove it home !! Her subsequent Disco I and now her P38 have not been treated to such abuse, but her now retired Grand Wagoneer (sold for $100 and jar of jam) had a few stores it could tell.

·
Registered
483 Posts
dutchfrompredator
Is that a genuine parts ladder or is that an aftermarket addition?

I have not seen those but I like that

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
beautiful pics scott. :clap:
wavey the ladders were oem. they're discontinued and a pita to find. i stalked the internet for a year before finding a private seller of one and pouncing on it. :dance:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
beautiful pics scott. :clap:
wavey the ladders were oem and safety devices made a ton of them but they are out of production. they're a pita to find. i stalked the internet for a year before noticing a private seller of one he wasn't using and then i pounced. :dance:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
777 Posts
Same snow storm you got. First time I got to drive the rover in any snow since owning it (~3 years). This is at the end of my driveway with the sun going down.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
snow? hmmmmm saw it once as a kid.....

its going to be a nice xmas here :) its going to cool down on xmas eve as its only meant to reach 115f tomorrow :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Cheers for that; I won't hold my breath but if anybody ever sees one in Southern Africa please let me know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts