Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through some old threads and it looks like the consensus is that to put in a full size spare you remove the foam under the non-full size spare. Is this correct?

I had a flat and when I saw the spare (non-full size), I was disappointed as many have said they were in the previous threads. I noticed when the flat full size went into the spare location the cover would not lay flat because it is much wider than the dummy spare.

Second question is can you put a good "normal" tire on the rim of the dummy wheel or do I have to buy a different wheel?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,541 Posts
You need to remove the foam to make space for a full size spare.

Why would you want to put a normal tire on the dummy wheel? In that case, you might as well use the full dummy spare wheel/tire combination.

I assume when you say normal tire, you mean one that is the exact same size as the other 4...so in that case, you'll need to buy an identically sized rim...of course it could be a different pattern if just used as a spare, but should be same size, same offset, same bolt pattern.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using the dummy spare means cheaper solution. The dummy spare wheel/tire works fine - but only rated for 50 miles. That’s why I want a “normal” tire on the dummy wheel. When I say “normal” tire, I don’t mean the same size as the other tires. I mean I can drive as far as I need to get somewhere to repair or replace the tire that went flat.

·
Registered
2016 TD6 and 2018 SCV8 Range Rover Sports
630 Posts
Using the dummy spare means cheaper solution. The dummy spare wheel/tire works fine - but only rated for 50 miles. That’s why I want a “normal” tire on the dummy wheel. When I say “normal” tire, I don’t mean the same size as the other tires. I mean I can drive as far as I need to get somewhere to repair or replace the tire that went flat.
Here's an option to consider. There should be OEM wheels that match what you have now, listed on Craig's List, eBay etc. often for under $200 each. Cheaper yet if there's curb rash which doesn't matter that much on a spare. Then purchase a matching tire and TPMS which should run about $250 for the tire and $60 for the TPMS at places like like Discount Tire. They can even activate the TPMS within the vehicle's system if needed. Another $25 for mounting and balance and you have a spare that is fully capable for towing or driving any distance and can be left on the vehicle indefinitely if the flat is not repairable and a replacement tire not readily available.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,541 Posts
For what it’s worth, the answer to this depends on how far from a good tire store you are or how willing you are to disrupt a long trip in the event of an issue. If you are always near a big town then stay with the original setup. I do a lot of long trips so I always replace the smaller speed limited spare with a full sized matching rim/tire…buying a used matching rim on EBay and a matching tire gives you cheap insurance vs having to waste a day or two on a trip hunting for a tire.

Reactions: mark1107

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what it’s worth, the answer to this depends on how far from a good tire store you are or how willing you are to disrupt a long trip in the event of an issue. If you are always near a big town then stay with the original setup. I do a lot of long trips so I always replace the smaller speed limited spare with a full sized matching rim/tire…buying a used matching rim on EBay and a matching tire gives you cheap insurance vs having to waste a day or two on a trip hunting for a tire.
Yes, that’s why I’m interested in doing this. I have a small place out in the middle of no where Texas. It’s 60 miles to the closest town that might have a tire that fits. If I split a tire on a rock, it would not be fun trying to get somewhere with the small spare.

Reactions: PJPR01

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have 20 inch rims. I bought a single rim to match pit one of my old tires on it, pulled out the donut and the foam, put the full sized one in and done. Fits fine for me.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,541 Posts
I'm also in Texas, Houston in fact. If you would like a 2nd original donut spare in perfect condition to keep or carry/leave at the ranch, let me know...it's yours for free if you want to pick it up.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also in Texas, Houston in fact. If you would like a 2nd original donut spare in perfect condition to keep or carry/leave at the ranch, let me know...it's yours for free if you want to pick it up.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to go work on getting the full size.

Reactions: PJPR01
1 - 9 of 9 Posts