RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching but only found and old 2014 thread about fuel slosh..it's pretty bad in my TD6...anyone else have the issue....I thought I had heard at one time about a SA issued by JLR..?

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
No. In fact they no longer do this for any models. The tanks were redesigned shortly after the service bulletin and it's not been an issue since. However I don't think the TSB applied to Diesel variants. The diesel tanks are different than the petrol tanks. They have a different shape and hold less fuel due the addition of the DEF tank.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to my SA today to make a 1st yearly service and mentioned the issue and the Advisory...he called me back an hour later with the approval from JLR and has ordered the parts for next weeks service...

·
Registered
93 Posts
...I've got mine (3.0 Diesel) with TSB applied BUT, to be honest, the dealer told me that they've been forced to replace the Tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did some searching but only found and old 2014 thread about fuel slosh..it's pretty bad in my TD6...anyone else have the issue....I thought I had heard at one time about a SA issued by JLR..?
I’m not convinced it’s coming from the fuel tank and likely the Main DEF tank is the culprit.

The diesel tanks are different than the petrol tanks. They have a different shape and hold less fuel due the addition of the DEF tank.
The DEF resovoir is under the Driver’s Seat (LHD). The fuel tank is different internally on the diesel, but it’s exterior shape and volumetric capacity is the same as the petrol version. The diesels have restricted USABLE volume to prevent fuel system starvation. If this was to occur, you can’t simply pour diesel in the tank and restart the engine. The ENTIRE fuel system has to be purged of air and primed with fuel first.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not convinced it’s coming from the fuel tank and likely the Main DEF tank is the culprit.

The DEF resovoir is under the Driver’s Seat (LHD). The fuel tank is different internally on the diesel, but it’s exterior shape and volumetric capacity is the same as the petrol version. The diesels have restricted USABLE volume to prevent fuel system starvation. If this was to occur, you can’t simply pour diesel in the tank and restart the engine. The ENTIRE fuel system has to be purged of air and primed with fuel first.
I hear the slosh from the rear (behind me)...and not from under me...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hear the slosh from the rear (behind me)...and not from under me...
I hear sloshing too in my personal L405 TD6 with baffled tank. It’s the same slosh I heard in the long term L405 SDV6 Hybrid I had for 10 months but not the same as my previous L405 SC50 or L405 SDV8.

It just came back recently after a DEF poor quality notification repair so the DEF tank system was full until this morning. I heard it transfer DEF from the main reservoir to the metering tank and immediately went and filled the fuel tank. The sloshing is back as expected and definitely emanating from the DEF tank. I can manipulate the area where the sound eminantes from (as far forward as the pedals, and as far back as the rear floor) simply by changing the incline and/or side slope angle.

Fuel tank shown in yellow, DEF in blue. I’ll try to get out the GoPro and mic this weekend since neither potato phone was very good at capturing it.

03EF8A75-2FDB-4F04-B570-8F99CB60AB71.jpg

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting...I did not realize the DEF tank went that far back...I thought it filled the fender cavity and part of the rear engine bay...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts