RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the most I've been able to fill up is 23 gallons. I should be able to get, if completely empty, 27.7 gallons. Only trying to figure it out since having the fuel gauge issue.... Ive run the car down to 12 miles until empty, but Ive only ever been able to add at most 22 gallons.

Seems weird to me. Has anyone gotten closer to 27.7 gallons?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've put 26 in many times.
Tks - maybe I can get some more input from others. Guess I'll run it down to 0 miles and see..... 5 gallons seems like a lot to be off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just posted a similar question on the L494 forums. With my 2017 RRS SC V8 I ran the tank all the way down to 18 miles remaining (~1.1 gallons) and filled up only 22.5 gallons at a reliable Costco pump. Were you able to fill-up more than 23 gallons? Did your dealer help?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just posted a similar question on the L494 forums. With my 2017 RRS SC V8 I ran the tank all the way down to 18 miles remaining (~1.1 gallons) and filled up only 22.5 gallons at a reliable Costco pump. Were you able to fill-up more than 23 gallons? Did your dealer help?
No and no unfortunately.

I am trying one last time now. Fuel light went off yesterday and it read less than 50 miles to empty. Truck was in the shop for over a week recently and they did look at the fuel issue(or at least they said they did) and said it was normal. According to the shop and Land Rover, there is no "reserve" per se, and the tank capacity is 27.7 gallons so it is normal in Land Rover world, at least theirs, that when you have showing 10 miles to empty to only be able to fill 22-23 gallons.

I don't get it. But it seems i'm in the minority here. I just want to believe the gauges and know how much fuel i have left and my mileage.

Will post back one last time here when i finish.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
13 Posts
I've been wondering about this also in my 2017 LWB ATB. The range seems a bit tight if you follow the gauge.

So, like you, I've been running it down this week and finally filled up today with 8 miles to go and it only took 24.3 gal. Prior to this effort the most I've been able to put in was 22.

In any case it seems like getting much over 400 miles on a tank is going to be difficult. Not that big a deal but minor annoyance.

I would add that the estimated MPG on the trip computer is the least accurate of any car I've had. In mixed driving, 5100 miles, I've averaged 14.3 mpg but the indicated average is 17.1 on the computer. I don't mind the low MPG but would like more range.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's baffling - either the software is wrong or the tanks aren't 27.7 gallons. Right???

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have gone quite a bit longer past the "0" indication of the "km to empty" gauge. With both my RRs. It's quite conservative.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have gone quite a bit longer past the "0" indication of the "km to empty" gauge. With both my RRs. It's quite conservative.
LR1's sig says he has an SCV8 so this might not be related but I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the manuals that the TD6 has a limit to how much you can draw from the tank so it doesn't run dry. That would be real bad for a diesel if it did, so the TD6 will shut off even before the tank is empty. Now I know for sure the TD6 has a smaller tank than the SCV8, but I wonder if there isn't also some sort of safe limit factored in as well for the SCV8.

It probably wouldn't be a factor of gallons though.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
So I tanked up my neighbour's SC today and took 26.2 gallons. Quite frankly I would much rather have an issue of less on the gauge instead of being stranded empty. If folks would look at the positive side of things they would enjoy their ownership much more. :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, double verified the fuel thing and it definitely isn't right - well, maybe land rover right, but not correct.... Ran it down again and filled back up and didn't get to 27.7 or 27 or even 26 gallons. So, no reserve and who knows how many gallons..... Other than that, had a comfortable ride to MS and back.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
I ran mine down to the first red line on the gauge, and the DTE reading 80 miles....filled it up and barely got 16 gallons in it...will run it down further next time...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ive ran mine down to 0 miles a few times

never get anywhere close to 27 gallons

makes me think the diesel gas tank is now standard size

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think the most I've ever been able to put in was about 24gal. Land Rover cust service once told me there is no reserve, per se.... I called back and was told the reserve is 2 gal. Not sure who is right. But then again, they also told me that the diesel cars have a 27.7 gal capacity too. Seems they don't know either, which at this point doesnt surprise me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Perhaps a good validation would be to siphon out the gas when the car is at zero to determine how much is actually left. Does anyone know if there is any protection against that as part of the fueling line?

I've also seen ultrasonic tank senders, perhaps attaching one to the car might serve as an auxiliary gage, assuming one can calibrate it correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
or, just fill up as needed as per the dash. (sorry)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can someone check on topix if 2017 gas tank is same part number as older trucks

·
Registered
463 Posts
or, just fill up as needed as per the dash. (sorry)
The concern is that your not getting the correct or maximum range.....with the tank full I only show a DTE of 400 miles...even with the MPG showing a 22.7 average...the TD6 has a tank of 23.5 and at 22 mpg city...even though I am doing highway, is 517 miles...even if there was 3.5 gallons of reserve that is 440 miles...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the part no. for my vin is LR086524 according to a dealer i got it from. Also, apparently there is some note for the part that reads, "less emissions tank". I think also that the part number that ends in 25 reads w/ DEF.....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts