RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months, wait, a couple of years of putting up with the little "Oh my God go get some fuel or you'll be pushing" light next to the fuel gauge on the dash being on I finally got around to fixing it.

Quite a while ago I tackled the problem thinking it must have been a loose connection in the plug at the sender, this was after I had replaced the whole thing because the pump was dead as were the indexing marks on the sender. I pulled the tank out after disconnecting everything I even pulled out the pump to check the contacts on the sender itself and they were fine plugged it back in turned on the key and moved the position of the sender and it worked fine. I put it all back together and lo and behold it didn't work. After a little research and help from a couple of members from this forum it was decided that possibly the type of fuel I had been using had eaten into the surface of the float and had been absorbed by it causing it ...therefore..... not to float.

I'm getting good at pulling the tank out without a hoist, only skinned one knuckle this time and only swore three times. I'd been running it around all week with some spare fuel in the back "Just in case" and I thought for sure it was nearly empty. Disconnected everything again undid the bolts and dropped the fuel tank down. It was heavy, **** heavy after I dragged it out I syphoned the remaining fuel out into three jerry cans, yes that's right I drained out nearly 60lts of fuel. I was sure I should have running on fumes by then, anywho I pulled out the sender, put the original float on from my dead fuel pump and reassembled the beastie. Put the fuel back in, flicked on the key and it worked!! I'm a happy lad....

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Great but what kind of fuel did you abuse? :roll: Is it Ethanol ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was an Ethanol blend from one of the cheaper chains of fuel outlets, not one of the big ones like Shell or BP.. That'll learn me. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts