RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allo allo there.. thanks in advance for ganderin'...

I recently took my vehicle into the shop for an unrelated issue and upon inspection, etc... it came back with a check engine light on (which wasn't on when I brought it in), the air suspension in the front end not working, and a diagnoses for a replacement of the entire fuel rail.

Obviously, I'm pretty upset about the whole check engine light/suspension getting "thrown" on me. In their defense, I did notice that driving the previous week, when hitting bumps, they were feeling a lot more "jarring" than usual, so hopefully it's legitimate maintenance and is just a coincidence. ..

My questions are: are the "air suspension shock struts" on Amazon and eBay decent quality (here's an example: shorturl.at/aoX12)? More specifically, I notice that the mechanic has the price of one being ~$575. Atlantic British has one at ~$400. Then, there's the $200 ones from Amazon and eBay . Anyone have any experience with the $200 pieces/assemblies?

As for the fuel rail: the mechanic is saying that a driver's side fuel rail pressure regulator is leaking fuel (which, I've been smelling fuel for some time now). They said that the regulator CAN NOT be replaced separately. The entire fuel rail must be replaced, supposedly. They've priced a new fuel rail at ~$3,500 which is friggin' preposterous and ridiculous, to put it nicely. I see that there are used rails for sale on eBay for ~$50. Anyone have any insight and/or experience with the fuel rail and the regulators?

Thanks a lot for any replies and insight. Cheers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have been doing some digging and talking with people. For anyone else that may come across this thread and have similar issues, I found/been directed to two websites that sells fuel rails for considerably cheaper than what I was quoted. People here are probably familiar with some of these sites - I'm just now getting familiar with them.

Either way, there's some for sale at http://www.roverlandparts.com for ~$500 and then some for sale at https://landrovermerriamparts.com for ~$2,000. So, both much less expensive than what most mechanics will quote, probably.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: for anyone that may be having similar issues now or in the future... new fuel rails for sale at landrovermerriampartsdotcom and roverlandpartsdotcom (after reading some more, it looks like they may sell used parts), both of which are considerably less than what I was quoted.

I spoke with a gentleman at roverlandparts and from his understanding the fuel rail pressure regulator IS, in fact, built into the fuel rail and is not serviceable outside of welding, etc... Which brings to mind: it's said that the whole fuel rail must be replaced if there's leaking from the fuel rail, but I'm wondering if it woudl be possible to patch the leak. Would certainly think that it's at least feasible in some circumstances. Nevertheless, the injectors can be switched from an old rail to a new rail, so they don't have to be replaced, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Some more information for anyone that happens to read this. I've found these posts can help even years later, so hopefully this will, too, sometime for someone.

Fuel rails can also be labeled and known as "fuel tubes," "fuel distributors," "fuel supply tubes," and maybe even some others.

Also, this may be well-known to a lot of people, but I think it tends to be forgotten, too. There are quite a few possibilities when considering salvage yards and similar companies that may consolidate parts from yards. Here are some: lkqpickyourpart.com, uneedapart.com, and car-part.com are all potential sources for parts. Looking on Craigslist (using a nation-wide collator) for people parting their cars is also a good option.

With regard to air suspension: you may hear that if one strut/shock goes out, then both need to be replaced. That's what mechanics will often tell you (at least that's what one mechanic tried to tell me). That's not true, necessarily. They can be serviced/replaced separately, but it may be prudent to change both/all, considering they take so much pounding, etc... and are known to often ****e the bed after so many 10s of thousands of miles.

This thread, https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/332468-4-4l-jaguar-aj-v8-engine-compatibility-ford-etc-engines.html, may also provide some insight into finding parts and educating yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello ZooD - first of all, sorry to hear about your trouble

My car: 2008 RR HSE 4.4L
Fuel rail leak ~100k miles, happened about a year ago
$4,000 repair at the dealership

Good luck !

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
309 Posts
Late to the party, but you definitely don't want to patch fuel lines/rail (or brake components, for that matter) and no reputable shop in their clear mind will do so. If the price of new is prohibitive, definitely look into getting a good used one.
I don't know how many miles on your truck, but it would probably make sense to replace both front strut assemblies at the same time, unless the other side is relatively new. From others on the forum, I've learned that these guys are made by BWI which is now part of Delphi and an OE supplier of LR components:
https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spring-strut-front-l322-0206-rnb000750-rnb000750g-genuine-supplier-p-1253.html
Their price is very reasonable compared to LR-labeled counterpart.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to the two people above who replied, btw!

Update: I purchased some of the cheaper, presumably Chinese, strut air suspension assemblies and had them installed. Both of them are defective, leaking air from the bottom portion/base where the air bags join/connect to the metal post (strut itself, I guess?). At least they had a warranty, but I don't feel comfortable exchanging them, as two out of two are bad already, what are the chances even new ones will work, let alone withstand years of bumps, etc... Will probably be buying some of the more expensive ones, which hurts, but at least will provide some peace of mind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: ended up purchasing a pair of strut assemblies from aerosus.com, which I hadn't seen mentioned here, nor was I aware of them until a lot of searching.

For anyone that may be wondering about their products... they are good quality and definitely solid and well-built. Am really happy with them after installing and have a peace of mind with the guarantee and shipping policy they have. Would recommend.

On a different note, I'm getting ready to change out the fuel rail. Does anyone have any advice for getting to and replacing the fuel rail? I presume that it's not all that difficult, but who the heck knows. Would be really interested to hear of anyone's experience with fuel injectors, rails, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts