RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '88 Rover abruptly stopped running yesterday. I determined the fuel pump wasn't running but it was getting power to the connector. I removed the pump from the tank and found a broken wire. On both the + and - leads between the pump and the top of the assembly (where it mounts) there is a some kind of electrical device. Copper wire wrapped around a solid core of some sort. They could be some kind of resistor or something, although I don't know why there would need to be two. Does anyone know what these are and how important they are? The positive lead has broken off and is difficult to reattach. It would make life a lot easier if I could just get rid of at least one of them. I have replaced the pump within the last year with an AC-Delco pump as suggested on the main site here.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think you're talking about the chokes. If so, these are a sort of electrical filter, making sure you're only getting DC to the pump.

The pump will work fine without them, but you run the risk of blowing the new one without the chokes. However, you probably only need one, so if you route the +ve and -ve wires through the same choke you should be fine.

It's worth noting that some replacement pumps have reversed polarity from the OEM pump. Just make sure you have the pump wired up the right way round before putting it all back together.

If you haven't already, consider a fuel pump access hatch while you have everything taken apart:

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39727

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I replaced the pump about a year ago and its been working fine. so no wiring issues there. I don't see how I can run both pos and neg thru the same choke without creating a short circuit. Each choke only has 1 connection on each end. It would be like twisting the 2 wires together. I'm going to eliminate the one I have trouble with and I'll keep the other.

And, my answer to the access panel was to cut the entire rear floor in half just in front of the tank. I had to remove the floor when I replaced the rear body cross member so that was the time to do it.. I could conceivably remove the entire tank out thru the inside of the truck. Its been a very helpful modification so far. I had rust-caused-leaks at all of the vent hoses and was able to repair them without having to drop the tank.

Thanks for the reply
Dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
piprover said:
Thanks.
I don't see how I can run both pos and neg thru the same choke without creating a short circuit. Each choke only has 1 connection on each end. It would be like twisting the 2 wires together.

A choke has no connections, it's more like a fat metal clamp that you attach to an insulated wire. So I suspect what you are describing is not what I initially thought were describing.
Do you have a picture?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts