RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel pump ring doesn't want to come off! Just to be sure, which way is it supposed to spin to loosen? Left or Right? Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think AB sent me the wrong fuel pump, this new one has no place to attach the ground wire from what I can tell. Also there is some sort of vent tube that goes right down into the pump, and I definitely have nothing to attach to that.. I am thinking they sent me a pump for a '95.. :cry:

So I'm changing the FP because @ 112K miles, it is original and appears it has finally gone (I was planning to do it anyway as a preventative). I'm not sure what the symptoms are, but I stalled out @ idle, then had a somewhat "jerky" ride home -- generally when giving gas everything was OK, but especially at lower RPMs, the tach would drop down and then suddenly rev up again, sometimes I'd press the gas a bit just to make sure that it wouldn't drop down to 0 and stall again. Sometimes even pressing the gas had the same effect (none, then a burst) Does this sound like it could be the fuel pump?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Realize I'm talking to myself but perhaps this will help someone in the future.

The pump was actually the right pump. The "vent tube" is actually sealed and I was assured it is there just because of the multi-purpose mold that is used for that pump. The ground wire is apparently not used with this pump, so I left it disconnected. Put the relay back in, connected the battery and it started right up. Drove OK on a short drive, will need to test drive it for a while to be sure. If anyone else is looking to do this -- the fuel hoses had a configuration (left long, right short) that was consistent with the old pump but opposite of the new, so it took some "gentle twisting" to get the long (left) hose connected, hopefully I'm not putting too much pressure on the hose I guess time will tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts