RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably getting time to change my fuel pump in my 96 (170K miles on original). I may be driving home from the west coast this winter. Shopping around for drop in replacements. I find Allmakes brand for $70 and OEM for $380. Is there really a significant difference in construction/materials to warrant the huge difference in price? Opinions? Recommendations?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I did the Airtex (IIRC) pump on our 98, and has been just fine.
I know the 98's are different than yours, but the pump will work if I remember right.
Seems kind of daft paying @10% of the rigs value for a fuel pump though huh?:shock:

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the Airtex (IIRC) pump on our 98, and has been just fine.
I know the 98's are different than yours, but the pump will work if I remember right.
Seems kind of daft paying @10% of the rigs value for a fuel pump though huh?:shock:

Martin
Yeah, I hear you there. I've resolved myself to the philosopy that with certain items the inconvenience of replacement may warrant the extra cake to make sure it's being done only once.
But $70... man that's tempting.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
typically the OEM is the entire in tank assembly including the sender unit, whereas the after market one is just the pump itself and you will have to do some wiggling and splicing to put it in.

I can understand price difference from that point.

I have a cheap GOS pump in both my petrol rangies.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
550 Posts
Had a chat with a sales person and he confirmed that this will fit all RRs including NA rigs. It should fit 99s like mine that has the newer pump but no emission connections. Unlike the OEM housing, the pump is in the white housing in the bottom of that cage. I wouldn't be that cautious about the prices as I have been running a $65 Airtex pump since 2008 on mine. If it fits and pumps the correct pressure, try it out. Just let us know how it works out for you as it would save a bunch of money. My only advise is to save the OEM cage if you need to go with a different pump only solution later on down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts