RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a frequent hard starting/not starting problem that I always attributed to a fault somewhere in the ignition system. Up until this month my truck would be nearly impossible to get started if I let it sit for more than a day or two. This week it finally started stalling and not restarting. Finally found that the fuel pump was not getting any power during any stage, ign on pulse, cranking, or running. Bought a new pump, dropped the tank and installed it. Found connector at top cracked and completely corroded. Rewired connector but still not starting.
You can hear the pump running but is not getting enough power to actually pump any fuel. If I disconnect the wiring for the pump and apply 12 volts directly to the pump at works fine and pumps correctly. The wiring is hooked up correctly and sometimes it will pump just enough to sputter but wont stay running. I tried jumper-ing the fuel pump relay connections and that causes the pump to run continuously but not actually pump. Finally as a temporary solution I disconnected the wiring for the pump and hooked it up to ground and am running positive through a switch i mounted under the driver's seat. The ground is no good from the factory wiring and the positive barely registers. If I leave my rigged-up switch connected with the vehicle running and try to also connect it to the factory wiring it kills the pump and the motor bogs down and stalls within seconds so I am relying strictly on my switch.
I dont mind the switch for now but I'd rather have my truck work correctly. Anyone know of any common problems that fit this description?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had this mysterious problem years ago, I ran my jumper wire from the fusebox on one of the fuses thats on with ignition only, this is safer than the switch you have now. I had it running this way for a good year when during some other service I disconnected my jumper and the car ran like normal, I never figured out what the problem was. I have had the same problem on 2 other cars and solved it the same way. This leads me to beleave it's an ecu problem other than a relay problem

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call Jack, I really should have my jumper wire fused for all kinds of safety reasons. Not to mention it's only a matter of time till I forget the switch for a couple of hours and end up stranded. I figured this would be an extremely temporary solution but it's looking like I'll probably leave it till at least the spring since I have a feeling it may be a tricky problem and I know I'll get sick of the switch. If anyone else has had any similar problems please feel free to post.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
probably a bad earth somewhere...

just trace the loom back and surely you will find it. I assume you have checked the fuse box/relay end and it a good 12v is leaving there then it just leaves a few wires and connectors in between....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts